Maxxis Bighorn

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by JHerr, Mar 23, 2015.

1. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Anyone running Maxxis Bighorn. I'm contemplating 255/85-16 for my 07 Tacoma. Currently running Toyo MT's in the same size, I'm a little disappointed in the mileage to date, best I can estimate is around 35-40K since oct 2012.

Wondering on mileage for the Bighorns, wear, and performance in the mud.
    thx.

2. DUC HNTN

DUC HNTN Senior Refuge Member

I haven't run them personally, but a good friend of mine did on his 2004 Dodge 1500 quad cab. They rode like a typical mud tire, but dang did they whine. They were loud running down the highway. As far as wear, they wore evenly but they wore quicker than he would have liked. I can't tell you the mileage that he had on them though, sorry. For traction in mud, they were second to none. He drove that truck over and through everything and never once got it stuck (snow, mud, or sand).

3. JHerr

Thanks for the info.

4. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Get the BF Goodrich KM2's and don't look back. I have a set on my Z-71 now with over 60,000 miles.

5. JHerr

Interestingly enough they've seem to recently quit making most of the popular 16" tires, I can't find them on TreadDepot anyway.

6. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Good luck! KM2's are easily the best pulling and mileage MT I have ever owned and I am own my 4th Z-71 with 200,000 miles or more. Over that time I have tried several different types of MT's and so far none have compared.

I heard the Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires were good also. Might give them a try next.

7. JHerr

thanks.

8. cougfan316

cougfan316 Senior Refuge Member

I've ran a couple sets now on my taco. Same size, but mines an 04 model. Love the tires and have no complaints other than the price where I bought them. I've consistently gotten 40-50k out of each set I've had. They are a little noisy and heavy, but they are a mud tire. It's my daily driver so they've held up great. Haven't had any problems between mud, sand, or snow.

9. JHerr

I appreciate the info.