Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Mazatlan Trip

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by CJSDuck, Dec 27, 2016.

1. CJSDuck

CJSDuck Senior Refuge Member

Hey everyone,
    I was lucky enough to fill a spot that opened up to Mazatlan in February with GetDucks.com and will be taking my wife along. I use Cory Caruthers out of Des Moines and I would love to let him do the birds for me since he is so close to where I live. I know having the USDA forms will be necessary but what other tips or knowledge does anyone have bringing or sending birds back to the States? Feel free to PM me or post for the greater knowledge of the group.

2. Grandfowl

Grandfowl Senior Refuge Member

I can't help you with your specific request unfortunately, but hope others will respond with their experiences in bringing birds in the US from other countries. Thought I would offer this bit of info though-If Cory is a USDA certified facility I'm sure he could provide the info you are looking for or even getducks should have info/advice on doing that. Good Luck on your hunt! It should be a fantastic hunt and experience! Hope to see some photos of the hunt. :tu

3. swamp jumper

swamp jumper Refuge Member

Hunted last March in Obregon with Ramsey and know some other guys that went to Mazatlan with Ramsey (I heard they had a great time). You need a USDA certified taxidermist to bring the birds to so have a copy of his certification papers when you go and you will need them to present to customs. Customs has a choice to either let you keep your birds or they can hold them and then ship them to your USDA taxidermist (its luck of the draw depending on who you deal with). Have heard some stories of birds being lost when customs chooses to ship but I would not get worked up over it. Enjoy Mexico it will be a great experience and your in good hands with Ramsey and Anita there good people:)