MB 23 Vanguard ?

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by rmk800, Jan 17, 2008.

1. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

hey guys. i stopped by MB in SLC yesterday to look into getting me a new motor. anyhow i talked with the sales manager and he recomended me to buy the 23 mini. i am all about keeping things light. i am used to longtails so the idea of the electic clutch didnt turn me on...however it did look nice. i am not really wanting to spend the money on the 35 hp motor. that is a bit more than my budget will allow. i was really impressed with the whole set up. he told me to go with the 23 hp motor over the 27 for the fact that they are really the same in the long run, plus you can modify the 23 where you cant on the 27. i was wondering if you modify the carb on the 23 what does that increase the hp to?? i run a 1648 rivited jon. i run mostly 2 guys and gear with a 3rd man evfery now and then.

just wanted to throw this out to the masses and get your oppinion. on set up issues....not brand!!!

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BASHING THREAD!!!!!!!! i choose MB, they are local....so please keep this positive!!!!!

2. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

You can do a lot on the 23 briggs search Cushman scooters and you'll find cam kits, etc or contact one of the suppliers for mudmotor performance parts there is a few out there. As far as the 27 kohler goes you can do just as much and more depending on how deep your wallet is.

3. XGENDUCKMAN

XGENDUCKMAN Senior Refuge Member

I'd say get the most HP you can out of the box, cheaper then mod's down the line..................all those mod's your talking about on the 23 are gonna far out spend the money for a 27.........the kohlers are work horses......i love my mod'd 35 vangauard but in your sit's I'd go for the most hp i can get right away..............23 and 27 are not the same, 4hp is 4hp....

4. rmk800

where can one get an carb kit for a 27 kholer? MB told me they dont make them...

5. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

I have owned two of the 23's, one longtail and one hyperdrive and run at an elevation similiar to yours in the Klamath Basin. Two guys will geat along, but three will be a struggle at that altitude. The 23 is a great motor, and down the road you'll have the ability to modify it.

For what your looking to do, and I realize that you don't want to spend the money, but the 35 is where it's at.

6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Currently they may not, but there are other sources just got to check on different forums. The price difference between briggs mods and kohler mods are not that much different.

7. Mud Doctor

Mud Doctor Elite Refuge Member

The sales team is correct. The mini 23 and 27 run very close to each other, but I will admit the 27 does slightly better with a load.

We will not being doing much with the 27s this year, but there will be a lot of bolt on power for the 23 coming up. We have many 23s on the water and have developed a couple proven performance recipes. The 23 has a carb kit and the tuned exhaust is nearly done. Our latest 23 tested on a dyno a couple weeks ago broke 32 horse. It had the single carb kit and a few small internal changes. As much as I like both the 23 and 27, if you looking for potential and bang for the buck, the 23 is it.

8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Having modded both, I can say the price difference between mods is minimal.

But the 23 is a lighter in weight by 17 lbs, if weight is a deciding factor.

The 27 is 44 cu in displacement and has 42.7 ftlbs of torque and the 23 is 38.3 cu in displacement and 32.9 ftlbs of torque.

9. rmk800

Mud Doctor,

hey there! i just ordered my new 23 mini from clint yesterday. i dont plan on modifying it yet...however i was wondering what are the small internal changes you mentioned??

looking forward to a great product!!!

thanks

10. Mud Doctor

Mud Doctor Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for the order.

We can add a carb kit and roller rockers and the 23 will absolutely come alive. It is that simple. We are still working on the tuned exhaust - long overdue.

The 32 horse 23 has cam, roller rockers, push rods, carb kit and tuned exhaust.

When you buy a 23 MB you have many options for more power later on.

On the 35 Van we have 10 levels of performnace.
    On the 23 we have 5.

Level 1. - Tuned exhaust (not available til spring)
    Level 2. - Level 1. with single carb kit.
    Level 3. - Tuned carb kit, new gov spring, roller rockers and tuned exhaust.
    Level 4. - Level 3 with cam and performance push rods.
    Level 5. - Level 4 with Pro Flo TM heads

Frankly, level 2 and 3 give the biggest bang for the buck and can be done at home after dinner. Level 2 takes two hours with a six pack. Three hours with help and two six packs.

With level 5 on a 1542, we run with the 45 Sport (1 or 2 people in boat)