Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

MD DNR Laws that make you go hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duckshot69, May 7, 2005.

1. notwhouthink

notwhouthink Elite Refuge Member

But I hunt rp geese. When would that season be?

2. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Jerky ....... The first poll was based on the 7 day mandatory october season which we found out was false . Poll #2 or the one your questioning is the origional one I came up with . I kinda thought this worked out a little better for the below reasons ........

1 - due to it only conflicting with deer season on one day

2 - a couple October days are moved back to November

3 - all the saturday openers

4 - geese and ducks will open and close at the same time in December

3. Trailman

Trailman Elite Refuge Member

Mark,
    How much does the advertizing revenue offset costs in the hunting guide?
    Thanks

4. mhoffman

mhoffman Senior Refuge Member

Notwhouthink - Here is the law about hunter orange:

Natural Resources Article § 10-418.
    (a) This section does not apply to any person who:
    (1) Hunts any wildlife on the person's property with or without a hunter's license;
    (2) Hunts deer with a bow and arrow during the season restricted to hunting with a bow and arrow;
    (3) Hunts game birds or mammals during the open season using falcons, hawks, or owls; or
    (4) Hunts or accompanies, aids, or assists another person hunting the following species:
    (i) Wetland game birds;
    (ii) Fur-bearing mammals;
    (iii) Crows;
    (iv) Doves; or
    (v) Wild turkeys.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (a) of this section, a person who hunts any wildlife and a person who accompanies, aids, or assists another person in a field, wooded area, marsh, or on the water to hunt any wildlife shall wear:
    (1) A cap of a solid daylight fluorescent orange color;
    (2) A vest, jacket, or jacket containing back and front panels of at least 250 square inches of a solid daylight fluorescent orange color; or
    (3) An outer garment of camouflage fluorescent orange worn above the waist which contains at least 50 percent daylight fluorescent orange color.
    (c) By regulation, the Department may define the term "daylight fluorescent orange" consistent with the recommendations of the North American Association of Hunter Safety Coordinators.

--Hence, there is no exemption (unless you are a landowner hunting on your own property) for woodcuck hunting.

Mark
    --------------------------
    Mark Hoffman
    Wildlife and Heritage Service

5. mhoffman

mhoffman Senior Refuge Member

Trailman - Sorry if I missed your question. To respond to your most recent post (and an eariler one you had on this), we did not go to the full-size hunting guide so we could put ads in it. We have only had ads for 2 or 3 years, while it has been a full-size publication for longer than that ... maybe 5 years before or so. I use to edit and layout the guide during its last days as a pocket-sized publication.

The reasons for going to the larger format were several: (1) we can print the pages on "newsprint" which is the least expensive paper; (2) we can make the fonts bigger ... we were getting complaints from folks the print was too small and they had trouble reading it; (3) we could include much better graphs/maps, etc. of Maryland (this year's version will include maps of each county and the deer management zones), trying to fit the deer seasons (for example) into the tiny pages was very difficult; (4) people said they didn't really keep it in their pocket so it did not need to be pocket sized (maybe you are an exception here).

We will recevied about $23,300 in ad revenue this year.

Mark

6. Trailman

Trailman Elite Refuge Member

Great thanks. Maybe I am the only one that carrys it. Maps, thats great too :clap , I'm a map junky :grvn

7. Backpeddler

Backpeddler Elite Refuge Member

I wasn't gonna weigh in on this topic because I feel like everytime there is a, DNR isn't up to par topic, I have been a defender. But truthfully I feel as though its sometimes necessary. In this topic it started as MD DNR laws that make you go Hmmmm. Well the DNR laws are not always the DNR laws as was explained previously. The Legislature makes the laws. I don't really understand why when two county legislatures decide they want you to have a license to hunt woodchuck and nutria the DNR is blamed. Much like why certain counties do or do not want Sunday hunting. As far as wearing orange for woodchuck if you have to ask why to that then I would suggest huunting an open field with several people, knowingly or not, each with a .243 and after the first bullet zings by your head .................. then we will revisit the orange issue.

Next this topic turned to the waterfowl seasons, I was at the meeting and participated in the group topics. I was also awake when the season proposals were made and feedback was requested. Although I must admit I was not in the parking lot checking license plates. I'm pretty sure I was awake during both the group topic and the open forum and in neither did I hear a MAJORITY dissent to the December seasons. So where the thought that the DNR does not listen befuddles me. Had the group made a big pitch for such and the DNR said " no we are leaving them as they are just because" then I could see the argument.

Setting the seasons are more complex in my opinion than most realize and when I consider my response to the seasons I take into consideration more than I am a waterfowler and what will maximize my bag. Like how does it effect deer hunting. I personnaly don't want ANY overlap in the waterfowl/deer season. Last year there was a situation on our farm that has made this more of an issue for me personally than ever before. I also like the December duck season as it is. 1) it provides more days in the field and 2) I typically hunt either ducks or geese not both at the same time. So for me the seasons as they are fit me.

Again I feel like I am always sticking up for the DNR. Look I question some of their policies. I know for a fact it is more difficult for a white male to get in to the law enforcement than maybe some one else. But then again that is a reflection of society. Try getting the same white male into the State Police.

I have also asked questions of a DNR police officer at waterfowl meetings and felt as if they were fuzzy to the law as much as I was when it came to hunting off shore. That was 5 years ago so the laws have been clarified but still I wondered why they didn't know but I was supposed to. Kinda like this CFL sign issue to some of you.

On the other hand I am truely amazed at participation by DNR at functions like the DU dinners, MSA dinners, the shindig and this site itself. Most of which are on these guys personal time. Not to mention they are paid as state employees which, not to get too personal, but my wife works for a state agency and none of these guys are getting big coin dropped on them.

So my question is why can't these topics be brought up as "hey I think such and such and what do you guys think"? And if someone does come up with the idea who cares where they are from. If they have a license to hunt legally thay are issued the sames rights as me including opinions. I'm going to Wyoming Elk hunting and I sure appreciate that I am an American and can hunt in any state I want.

Really some of these topics get confrontational when in fact this site is the most useful tool we as hunters have had since I been hunting. Instead of sticking together and getting questions answered or opinions stated it comes off too many time as west vs east or state vs state or worse yet hunters vs DNR. Not that I think everbody should always agree. Not at all. But the words some of you guys write are confrontational and I really think its done with intent. Why I don't know but it's useless dribble when a topic gets to slammin each other and off topic like this topic was for the middle 7 pages.

When it comes to hearing stuff like "I'll be at the shindig if you want a piece of me" crap makes it easier to know I can't make it this year. Not sure I want TJ there either.

8. Walnut

Walnut Elite Refuge Member

I'll tell you what burns me up. We are supposed to wear hunter orange to hunt squirrels. And also supposed to have plugged guns. These requirements are patently rediculous. :mad:

9. goose

goose Moderator Moderator

I hope that those dates that are suggested dont happen. I know that a few years ago when PA started opening and closing every season on a sat including Ducks it was the beginning of the end for them. It brought more part time hunters, to try thier luck at a first day thought of as an easy day, than normal. This has hurt us up hear. All the part timmers trying thier luck at our beloved sport. And I know how you feel about PA hunters down thier so could you imagine having to deal with many of them at once---lol

10. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Short Answer:

2004 RP opening day is usually 11/15, third split 12/9 thru 2/15; you should not see any change in these dates for Resident geese. Because of season length RP will open on/after November 15th and earlier on the third splits due to liberal seasons (number of days to hunt).