Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

MD Proposed gun control legislation. ALL gun transfers must go through FFL

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by The Other David, Feb 8, 2017.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how this is looking, but we need to keep an eye on it. This bill would require sales of shotguns and rifles to go through an FFL. If you have the chance, give one or two (or all) of the committee members a phone call and let them know you oppose this proposed legislation.

Introduced by state Senator William Smith, Jr., Senate Bill 948 seeks to criminalize the private transfer of long guns in Maryland. While SB 948 has been referred to the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, it has not been scheduled for a hearing at this time. NRA members and Second Amendment supporters are encourage to contact members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee and urge them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 948 when it comes up for a vote.

• Sen. James Brochin (DEM) or call them at: (410) 841-3648
    • Sen. Robert Cassilly (REP) or call them at: (410) 841-3158
    • Sen. Michael J. Hough (REP) or call them at: (410) 841-3704
    • Sen. Delores G. Kelley (DEM) or call them at: (301) 858-3606
    • Sen. Susan C. Lee (DEM) or call them at: (410) 841-3124
    • Sen. C. Anthony Muse (DEM) or call them at: (410) 841-3092
    • Sen. H. Wayne Norman (REP) or call them at: (410) 841-3603
    • Sen. Victor R. Ramirez (DEM) or call them at: (410) 841-3745
    • Sen. Justin D. Ready (REP) or call them at: (410) 841-3683
    • Sen. William C. Smith (DEM) or call them at: (410) 841-3634
    • Sen. Robert A. Zirkin (DEM) or call them at: (410) 841-3131

2. The Other David

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I'm no lawyer but it looks like lending is legal under 5-204.1: (9) THAT IS TEMPORARY, OCCURS UNDER CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THE TRANSFEROR HAS NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE TRANSFEREE INTENDS TO USE THE RIFLE OR SHOTGUN IN THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME OR TO ALLOW ANOTHER PERSON TO USE THE RIFLE OR SHOTGUN, AND TAKES PLACE EXCLUSIVELY:

(IV) WHILE THE TRANSFEREE IS HUNTING OR TRAPPING IF THE HUNTING OR TRAPPING IS LEGAL IN ALL PLACES AND AT ALL TIMES WHEN THE HUNTING OR TRAPPING IS CONDUCTED AND THE TRANSFEREE HOLDS ANY LICENSE OR PERMIT REQUIRED FOR THE HUNTING OR TRAPPING; OR (V) IN THE ACTUAL PRESENCE OF THE TRANSFEROR.

Where it's a little fuzzy is transporting the weapon to and from the field after the temporary transfer. CA has had a variation of this law for many years, with provisions for intra-family transfers. Other than that all gun purchases/ownership transfers must go through an FFL holder.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. The Other David

Phyto,
    The goal is to make legal ownership is as difficult as possible.

Phyto, I like your shotgun and am thinking about buying one. May I borrow yours for a while and see if I should get one like it?

That sounds illegal.

Phyto,

I have a skeet thrower. Let's go over to my farm and shoot a few rounds.

You,

I can't make it, but you can take my shotgun. Have fun.

5. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Can you explain how this is making gun ownership difficult?
    I mean, it's making it more difficult for a convicted felon from buying a gun through a private sale- but other than that, what is it doing to infringe?

6. The Other David

Scotty,

I guess it depends on how one looks at laws and freedom.

Keep in mind that much of the Bill of Rights specifically states what the Government CANNOT do, even though it can clearly be shown that these controls on the government result in more crime and that guilty people go free. E.g., 4th Amendment, 5th Amendment.

Some people (including me) think that freedom is a most important concept, and that freedom should not be restricted unless there is compelling evidence that there is a real public interest in that restriction. For example, if it can be demonstrated that requiring all long gun transfers be conducted through an FFL will reduce gun violence, then perhaps restrictions should be considered. Otherwise, the concept of freedom should prevail.

Do you have or know of evidence that this legislation will improve safety? If not, then why would you support it?

Taking a look at where California is going should give you a cold chill. You have to buy a permit to buy ammunition. All ammunition purchases are registered. You can no longer order cases of shot shells from out of state to be delivered to your house.

David

7. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

You did not answer my question.
    Please do.
    Here's another question for you- do you feel like it is ok to sell a firearm to someone whom you do not know and do not know is a felon, yes or no?

8. The Other David

Scotty,
    I don't want to get into a debate regarding gun control with you. You have your views, I have mine. In general, I am opposed to any restriction of freedom unless that restriction can be shown to be an advantage to society, and even then, a strong justification is needed. There is no justification for this legislation.

David

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Scotty,

I'm probably more in your boat on this one. However what I have found is that by itself this law and ones similar to it seem likely fine and even reasonable, but it is one chip that anti-gun folks want in their overall goal of total elimination of guns, except for hunting guns (think muskets).

That distrust and digging in on both sides is keeping us from having meaningful discussion about gun-control.

Scotty likes this.
  10. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

I don't have a problem with this. Gun sales should always be registered and quick background checks made.