Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Md. Underwater Grasses up 10%

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

2. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

I plan to investigate this over the weekend. I'll report back on the grass situation, and content thereof, on Monday.

3. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

OK, good news. Underwater grass is up 10% and crab numbers are way up too.
    So a bushel of crabs will cost HOW MUCH $$$ ??????

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I had a friend who had crabs once.....

5. SAXIS ISLANDER

That was not what I saw tonight. Area, which last year was nice patches of broken, grassy bottom, was heavily silted over. I guess I'll have to check another area.

"After all...tomorrow is another day!"

6. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    I find the press, and politically funded organizations too much to fathom lately. I am happy that they are improving the Bay water quality, but false reporting on it suggests that we are all idiots.

The invention of the internet makes fact checking almost instant and available to all. ( For you literary scholars out there who read Orwell's 1984 book, you may recall that the book's hero's job was going back to the archives and "updating" stories and facts in history to agree with the present reporting, thankfully this is not the case in today's world yet) Sorry for the digression.

Anyway, The Chesapeake Bay program reported in March 28, 2012, that the SUV grass in the Bay totaled 56,799 acres in 2010. I can assert that there was significantly more SUV grasses in the Bay during my younger years during the 70's, than in 2010, . According to today's report we are at "record" numbers...Record from what... the last few years? Who reports this type of stuff... So according to the valiant efforts, we have added 2478 acres of SUV in 7 years, good but not overwhelming, still a far cry from "record amounts". Is this millennium generational reporting in which all news has to be wonderful and great? Even more amazing, Maryland set a goal of restoring the SUV to 57000 acres by 2017; in 2010 that goal was only 201 acres away from achievement.

Anyway, I am glad things are improving, but in reality, we need to admit that we have literally sh** the bed when it comes to our stewardship of the Bay... We all complained about the flush tax and the rain tax; although those funds where diverted to other areas in the Maryland corrupt budget allocations, they were the right idea... Those taxes need to expand into the entire watershed, all the way up to the headwaters of the Bay ( Cooperstown, NY)

Also, the reports indicate that there is an increase in the crab population. Great, but it is still significantly less than what it was before the bay became a great big toilet bowl...

So before we all get too excited, the Bay has a long way to go... I know that environmental controls are not a huge concern in today's political landscape, and that we will eventually ride the poor girl to her grave, but for many of us, we remember her as she was - which was far from what she had originally been... enjoy it while it lasts

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  7. SAXIS ISLANDER

Different area of Bay today...somewhere between Crisfield and Watts...with a big CBF clubhouse on it...but I can't tell you where....I saw more grass there last year.

8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Nothing real crazy but I have some patches in front my house in Stoney creek. Can't even cast a lure in some spots between piers. A few other little patches around the creek.