MDC Duck Hunting Survey

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Gooseaddict, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Gooseaddict

Gooseaddict Senior Refuge Member

Did anyone else receive an email over the weekend asking you to take a survey about duck hunting in Missouri? Based on how the questions were structured it sure felt like they were angling towards either increasing Quick Draw or at a minimum the every man draw. A lot of the questions provided two options but instead of a third option to oppose the other two options you could select "No Preference". The only good thing was the open comment box at the end but I'm sure they don't want to hear what I put in there. I hope I read into it more than I should be won't be surprised to see changes coming down the road.

2. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

most of us got it it seems.... Things are going to change no doubt!! computers are coming, MDC is already having training for it and trying to figure out how to make it work.

I got the feeling that they plan to change something about the "draw" lots of questions about the amount of time... issues with the actual draw... speed of draw...

QD isn't going away! State doesn't do away with "ideas" means they have to admit they were wrong. But it needs to be state wide, ALL MDC CA's, and should only be 50-50 and once you get one you should be done for the year!!!! Shouldn't be 1 guy getting multiple's each year

3. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

Quick draw should be done away with totally. All it does is make it nearly impossible to hunt your local managed area. I live 10 minutes from one of the quick draw areas and put in every day for 59 days before I got drawn. The strange thing about the "random Drawing" is I started to send emails about putting in for nearly two years of quick draw with no luck. What do you know after the 3rd email I was suddenly "drawn on the last day of season?!?!?

I strongly feel ALL positions should be poor man! If you want a chance to hunt there go to the drawing. That is 100% "fair". Whose fault is it that you live hours away from the area? How is it "fair" for a person that lives just minutes away to get drawn one hunt in two years? I choose to live and work in SEMO in a big part because of the hunting opportunity. If that is not fair for the "locals" to get the advantage of drawing more days move closer! If you have hours to drive to get to your preferred draw area come up with a back up plan if you do not get drawn.

4. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

^^ agree but working for the state, I just know they don't "scrape" ideas/systems too much $$ involved, then like I said they have to admit they were wrong and don't want to hear about it from "the people"

5. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

That is true typically. Another prime example in SEMO is wappapello lake. Which used to be a decent crappie lake untill they put a size limit on it. Now it has about 75% less fishing pressure because people got tired of crappie fishing there and never getting to eat crappie.

DEADEYE likes this.
  6. Turn4fun

Turn4fun Senior Refuge Member

I had the exact feeling as you Gooseaddict, and no you are not reading too much into it. My experience with MDC surveys is that they are just a formality in doing what they have already decided that they are gonna do, and have probably already set things in motion. I think at a minimum we will see the actual drawing of pills eliminated and all line positions automatically assigned by computer. I used the comments box as well, but I can promise you that whatever you put there will fall on deaf ears. Case in point, prior to the implementation of quick draw, MDC opened up a commentary period and when the results were compiled they claimed that the majority of respondents were overwhelmingly in support of QD. Little did they know that MWA would would submit a FOIA request for a copy of all those comments. We had to pay to get them even though it is public record, and it was something like 700 pages. There was a panel of 5 or 6 of us who read each and every submission and then categorized them into "support", "strongly support", "oppose", "strongly oppose", or "neutral". What we learned is that MDC flat lied to the public about the support for QD. The majority of public input was in fact opposed to QD. They did what they wanted anyway, always have, always will.

feetdown71 likes this.
  7. Mo_G_Dux

Mo_G_Dux New Member

But honestly, some people do drive a hour an a half to 2 hrs to conservation areas... It would be great knowing the night before if you were getting in or not instead of driving up there "gas" to just get turned away. I do agree with you all it shouldn't be like that, but for some it would be nice I suppose. I for one don't mind driving up or down at least 3 times a week, yes it gets old getting turned away, but you pay to play!!!!

8. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

MDC should have bought more land several years back and expanded their waterfowl habitat, all the while providing more hunting area to accommodate the increase in the amount of waterfowlers.

9. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

MDC should have bought more land several years back and expanded their waterfowl habitat, all the while providing more HUNTABLE area to accommodate the increase in the amount of waterfowlers. More habitat for waterfowl, more huntable land for hunters,= win win. Oh, I forgot not really a "win" for MDC, cause they didn't want to use all that money for waterfowl and hunters. That was supposed to be spent on new trucks, tractors, raises, and that chincy *** mo conservationist magazine.

TooTall likes this.
  10. longshot lucas

longshot lucas Elite Refuge Member

True story. For ex: They had plenty of opportunities to expand OS with turn key adjoining properties.