MDC Duck Hunting Survey

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Gooseaddict, Oct 30, 2017.

1. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

I agree completely, I live 30 mins from Eagle Bluffs. Before Quick Draw, I could get in to hunt about 80% of the time poorlining during the week as a solo hunter. After Quick Draw, it is now 5% or less. Then you add on top of that "Every Man" draw in hunting party at the drawing and it gets even worse in odds if poorlining solo, like around 2%. It forces me to team up with others to have a better chance in the draw. I don't want to be forced to hunt with others just to get a better chance in the draw. That is a huge difference and made my MDC CA hunting experiences to quickly turn sour. Poorlining as a solo hunter is the worst odds and position to be in when going to the poor line at a quick draw MDC CA. It does force me to have a plan b and/or not hunt the CA, but I am not one to have land or access to land to hunt besides public land and that limits my hunting choices, especially if you do not have larger boats, etc to hit the lakes and rivers. If it is marsh hunting, then the CA is the best bet for me at the moment. I think it is crappy that the survey did not really give you the option of NO quick draw and NO everyman draw. It just gave you the no preference option only, which just means "I don't give a crap one way or the other", when I do give a crap. Only option was to put it in the comments at the end.

10GAGENUT, Mo_G_Dux and Sunklands like this.
  2. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

The survey sure seems ti be set up to show that there is support for quickdraw. I did not click any of to circles on the first several pages about quickdraw. In the box where you could put your comments I told them why I did not reply to any of the questions about quick draw. The reason being that you could not pick a response against it.

3. feetdown71

feetdown71 Senior Refuge Member

They darn sure have the monies to do whatever they need to do to make more properties, redo existing properties, pump more areas, ect. The skys the limit with all the Big Muddy lands up and down one of the countries biggest river! Lots of great comments on here. I for one believe the ONLY way to make it fair is to do plum AWAY with ALL reservations PERIOD. You waanna hunt get outa bed and drive!!!! And all these damn refuges within all these areas could be opened up for hunting for more positions, they will find safe spots to go and most of all it would spread them all out and not CONCENTRATE them all on Mostly Duck Controls properties. That alone would ez presure off all Mostly Duck Controls areas. Or hell do away with the refuges and drawings and open all the areas up to open hunting. Ya it might be interesting at first but would work its self out in long run.

Im sure they didnt like my comment either!! I even left my name and # and couldnt wait to talk to someone hahahaha

None the less good luck to all this season. Be safe.

elkmo41 and Mo_G_Dux like this.
  4. riverrat09

riverrat09 Senior Refuge Member

5% or less. Not disagreeing that it's low but if your willing to hunt any spot it's not that low even if you're drawing by yourself. Maybe that low if you are only choosing to hunt if you get one of the top few spots. Which is what it usually takes to have much luck there.

5. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

Could be that I am just unlucky, but the number of times you try to poorline factor in that percentage as well. The more times you try the better the odds. Of the opportunities I did go solo in poorline I never got in. And applying for quick draw the success rate for Eagle Bluffs is less than 3%. This is the first year in many years that I was able to get a reservation somewhere on the annual reservation draw at MDC.

Check out the stats here on the quick draw success rates. And that is supposed to allocate 75% of the available hunting opportunities, leaving a solo poorline hunter only 25% of the spots (4 or so spots)
    https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting...owl-draws/quick-draw/quick-draw-success-rates

6. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I’m not a MO resident (live and hunt mostly in KS but I do hunt in MO) and I can’t stand the draw system. Pressure is probably higher here on the KS side but at least if I drive to my spots I’ll get to hunt. With limited time to get outdoors I really don’t want to have to drive to another CA that day.

dux/24 7 likes this.
  7. elkmo41

elkmo41 New Member

BINGO....The survey's are just a required step in the policy and has to be done before making changes...gonna do what they want regardless.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If they are planning on using the computer system check in they had installed at Shanks for every area we are doomed unless they get it fixed, to say it a was cluster would be complimenting it. Just about everyone when I was there had to be manually checked in after the computer kept rejecting everybody's Conservation number, way to go MDC.

9. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Dudes (elmo41 and 10gagenut), are you guys practicing getting up early for the draw? Posting at 3am in the morning. Opening day is tomorrow!!!!! :)

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I get up between 3 and 4 am every morning, have for the past 35 years for work. Old habits die hard

cam and Sunklands like this.