MDC Duck Hunting Survey

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Gooseaddict, Oct 30, 2017.

1. elkmo41

elkmo41 New Member

One last minute cyberscout before invading Iowa to smack some geese......;)

2. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Good luck killing the geese up in Iowa. I never got into hunting those big turds. :)

3. Mallet67

Mallet67 Refuge Member

I've been hunting draw areas for over 35 years and for years I exclusively hunted draw areas. I have not been turned away in a poor line more than 6 to 8 times in all those years. Quick draw is joke and they want to computerize everything so they hardly need more than 1 person for the morning draw. All the damn money they have and they are trying to skimp. Years ago we paid $5 a man to hunt a blind at the draw areas. So cheap they can't even afford to print state duck stamps anymore. Most on here don't remember those days. We hunted ducks over decoys. The best you had was a jerk cord. Don't have a clue how we ever killed ducks on these places without robo ducks. Don't really recall many places having flooded row crop at many hunting areas either. The refugee had food but that was it. Good old days hunting Ted thanks in the timber down 3 mile ditch. We killed hundreds of ducks there back in the 80s and into the 90s. Guess I'm just getting old. I would like to see 100 percent poor line but if we have to have reservations let's do 50/50 and NO quick draw and NO every member draw crap. I've heard some of these quick draw guys have a list of 50 to 100 people and they put in for all of them each draw cycle and I've heard they hunt several times a season working it this way. Before long it's all gonna go to a quick draw system and squeeze us poor line hunters out all together. As someone stated earlier if you want to go hunt get your butt out of bed and go draw and take the chance. Equal opportunity for all. I live 30 minutes from some areas and 4 plus hours from others. I don't have a problem driving and the farther places from me I like the best but let's make it fair across the board.

DEADEYE, feetdown71, linhardt and 4 others like this.
  4. drakenuts

drakenuts Refuge Member

Perfectly said Mallet67

5. elkmo41

elkmo41 New Member

Agree Mallet well stated, I remember those days as well. Change is everywhere with the internet/technology involved. It's only going to get "worse" as far as hunting is concerned, only so much room for x number of hunters or x numbers of critters regardless of what it is. I guess having one of the wealthiest conservation departments in the country is a double edge sword.

6. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I remember chipping in $5 at D.C. back in the early 90's.

7. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Could not agree with you more. MDC has been for years tweaking the draw system on feedback from duck hunters and the general public. It has literally been years since I have had a chance to get out and duck hunt. First time I drew a pill I was able to hunt, if not I always have a backup plan. Enjoyed my time out and will say that MDC does a fair to good job with the restraints they have from management. Some will say Missouri Dept. of Conservation has created nothing but duck parks.

8. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

In some cases I would say MDC has created "duck parks". O.S. and T.M.P., are a "duck park" IMO, only because they do have some food that is planted by MDC. On the other hand, I don't consider D.C. a "duck park", because to do so would imply that MDC caters to ducks there. From what I've seen the faculty there does not. No crops grow there or the adjacent Mingo, to hold birds. There daily BPHA indicates that as well, when compared to O.S.

9. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

4.00 for me I guess that shows how old iam and could rent rubber decoys for 1.00 no paint what so ever on them

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Compared to several other states I've hunted we still have some of the best Public Duck hunting in the country, problem seems to be watching it be manipulated to a point we can't enjoy it fully.

feetdown71 likes this.