MDC

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Blake Nichols, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Blake Nichols

Blake Nichols New Member

Did anybody watch the webcast that the mdc had last week or the week before, I missed it and I was just wondering what was talked about

2. drakenuts

drakenuts Refuge Member

It was a lot of "the numbers show." I'm afraid big changes are coming for some sacred areas that have not been touched by quick draw.............stinks.

3. Gooseaddict

Gooseaddict Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Drakenuts. Not sure I buy all the numbers they were showing because from all the guys I talked with none of them voted to support what they were showing. This decision could have a very big impact, good or bad, on Missouri waterfowl hunting for at least the next 5 years. No confidence they'll make the right decision at this point.

4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I didn't listen but have talked to those that did. Sounded like the same old thing and I expect no changes for the better, or at least how I see it as better.

Perhaps there are a ton of new hunters of a different mindset that make up all these "numbers" and votes they speak of and want QD, more restrictions, etc. If so then I guess I'm outnumbered and have to continue to deal with it (or avoid MDC land more each year as I have been). If the HQ's are still packed for every morning draw, they probably don't care that the current system has soured many long time resident hunters.

On the other hand, there's suspicion that these meetings are held to claim hunters had input opportunity, and then just implement whatever they wanna do regardless. We shall see I guess.....

DEADEYE and SKDuckhunt like this.
  5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

All I can say is I’m happy I don’t have to phuq with the MDC.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  6. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Any agency charged with writing regulations has to have “public comment” to be looked upon as due process
    That is the purpose of these dealios—doesn’t mean that the public comments actually do anything

As long as they have the 1/8 cent sales tax they can do as they wish

Like WHUP—-glad I don’t have to fill out a green card

WHUP ! Hen and SKDuckhunt like this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I can agree with what's been stated, in close to 40 years of listening to MDC's explanations of hunter input and reasons for making certain changes, I honestly believe they do what they want to and the Hunter Input is nothing but a show for the public. If they do what they do becasue of hunter input then all I can say is MDC must have thousands of hunters whining at them every year for one reason or another.
    Things were a lot better IMO when all they had was a morning draw and I believe more people that wanted to hunt actually did get to hunt.
    I'm with the rest and wish I still had my lease property to hunt, not having to deal with this non sense and just go hunting was definitely a lot better experience.

feetdown71 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  8. JDP

JDP New Member

I listened in... I'm guessing all the numbers were supposed to impress us, and honestly I would have been impressed if they were graphs/numbers to the "real" questions we all wanted answered. I'm think they do use hunter input, but only to very specific question that are in-line with what they think is best for us.

I have two concerns with the current MDC way of thinking… One hot topic around the country is the declining duck hunter numbers. I would love to see the numbers of how many poor line people get sent home each week without getting to hunt. I absolutely love duck hunting, but it SUCKS waking up hours before daylight to go stand in the poor, line just to get sent home without hunting. If this happens once or twice to a kid do you think they will continue to wake up and go duck hunting? My other concern deals with “quality hunts”, the MDC presentation talked a lot about providing quality hunts. The average waterfowl specific CA is only averaging roughly one bird per hunter with most of those birds being killed by the top 3 spots. Personally, I think just being able to get out and go hunting is a quality hunt.

I wish they would allow more hunters per area and/or open up more land to waterfowl hunting(in particular "open" waterfowl hunting). If you live in the NW part of the state there are plenty of “open” areas to hunt, but it’s tough over here near St. Louis. Has anyone tried emailing or calling some of the CA managers directly?

Duckman Racing and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  9. drakenuts

drakenuts Refuge Member

"I' think they do use hunter input, but only to very specific question that are in-line with what they think is best for us."

The part of your post JDP I agree with greatly. Several instances the numbers they are referencing do not explain reality or the true situation for us. If I want something to go a certain way I most certainly can cue up the properly worded questions on a survey to get it moving in that direction. I do not agree with their youth numbers they threw out at all and the premise or justification. If I want to hunt with my son I shouldn't have to feel like I need to party up with two others for me and my son to have an equal chance at getting in. I highly prefer one member draw for the family aspect or to each their own option. That has more true deep meaning value in the long run to me then "hunter use days, or hunter usage numbers" with the every member draw system to get the most people out in the field. I think some areas should stay as is and some can remain quick draw, some areas can be one member draw some can be every member draw. This gives everyone an option.

10. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't make sense with that “partying up” nonsense

If their formula is X number of people in Pool Y based on number of ducks on the area,what difference if they are in group of 4 or two groups of 2?

If it is a distance between parties thing,then open up another area if needed

It is ducks.....not rocket science

DEADEYE, WHUP ! Hen and SKDuckhunt like this.