Meat Grinder

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by BangingBirds, Jul 22, 2016.

1. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Ok guys, I'm sure this has been discuss at some point on the forum. I have about 30lbs of duck meat that I am ready to start making into sausage. Any recommendations on a meat grinder?

Thanks-Steve

2. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

STX turboforce 1000!
    Amazon
    Works great for us amateur meat grinders.

3. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Every time I use my little 1/4hp LEM, I mentally kick my own arse for decades of fighting Rival and such kitchen grinders.

5. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

My cheap LEM works just fine. I do around 10lbs at a time and use it frequently. More importantly keep your meat just above freezing during the process or your gonna end up with a poor texture regardless of your grinder.

6. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

I bought one from Harbor freight for about 45$ after 20% discount. Works great. If you don't like it HB has a no questions asked return policy.

7. RefugeYoungGuns

RefugeYoungGuns Senior Refuge Member

You can't go wrong with Cabelas products or Weston or LEM. I personally have a cabelas model and it works fine. I have hit BB's with it many times and it still is great.

8. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

You have to answer a couple questions first.
    What's the budget?
    How many pounds per year will you run through it? Big game?

I started off with a little 400 watt, #8 Lem. It probably has 600 lbs through it and it still runs...think I paid $120 for it. I dreaded doing anything over 20 lbs with it...just painfully slow. Last year my sons and I went in on a 1hp, #22 from Cabela's. I believe it is a Lem with Cabela's label on it. Also bought a foot pedal...a must. I believe it was $550 for both, on sale...WORTH EVERY PENNY. Between the 3 of us we go through about 200-400 lbs a year...depending. The time and effort saved with a bigger grinder should not be underestimated. I don't know if you've done much sausage making, but these guys are super helpful. http://www.eldonsausage.com/ Their seasoning packs are the best I've used. Buy Eldon's sausage and jerky making book...you can thank me later.

9. LUVDUX @ EG

LUVDUX @ EG Senior Refuge Member

I don't have a fancy grinder but I've used the attachment to my Kitchenaid mixer for years. I've made 100s of pounds of sausage and speck burgers over the years with it. Works great if you have a Kitchenaid mixer at home.

thedckstpshere likes this.
  10. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

around $300-400... Some deer, but not all the meat. Mostly gonna use for duck/goose sausage. I checked the Lem website. The pedal was only $35 so seems reasonable to get if I decide to go with them.. thanks for the help and info.