Meat grinders ? Electric or hand crank?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jan 5, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We have plenty of game meat in our house. Its easy to give away extra elk and moose. And most of the people I know that like waterfowl are killing their own.
    So Im thinking of another hobby! Sausage
    What are some good sausage recipients. Im thinking of a higher quality hand crank instead of electric,
    Maybe 20lbs at a time 4 five times a year.
    What are you guys using?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

If you have a KitchenAid mixer the grinder attachment works pretty good for small amounts like that.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Here is what is going to happen.

You are going to spend the money on a high end hand crank. It is going to work great. You are going to start with about 10lbs, and think it is perfect. You are going to make some great sausage, and REALLY like it more than store bought.
    So, now you are going to want to make bigger batches. 20-30lbs at a time. And, there you are, cranking and cranking, and cranking. See, the cranking/grinding is only half the process. With sausage, you have to mix in the seasonings, so you are going to have to get a big mixer too. Now you got it all mixed up, and you are back to the grinder, one hand turning the handle, the other on the tube, stuffing the casings. S L O W work. (Unless you spring for a stuffer also, which I did, and like better than using the grinder)

Don't forget, with a hand crank style, you have to mount it to something. Some are bolt down, some are clamp down. Where are you going to put one? You need a VERY sturdy table, and a clean work station.

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to just flip a switch, and concentrate on working the casings?

Now, what to buy? You will (no doubt) get good advice, but in limited numbers. After you narrow it down, head over to Amazon and look at the reviews there. Cabela's is a good source, they sell lots of em. Some will say be aware of plastic gears, but nowadays, those hold up much better than a decade ago. Still, if metal vs 'plastic' price point is close, go metal.

LEM is a big name, for good reason. One example, which would probably serve you well:
    https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products...ords=meat+grinder&refinements=p_72:1248915011
    If you like Cabela's stuff, this is probably the price point:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/home.../Ne-1000002949?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU
    *If you have one local, easy to give it a try, and return it if you don't like it*

Some light reading....
    http://preppingmeat.com/beginners-buying-guide/
    http://www.sausagemania.com/grinders.html

okie drake and Kwack like this.
  4. Kwack

Kwack Senior Refuge Member

If you're going to grind, do it right and once. Buy an LEM electric and in a size bigger than you think you need. When you make sausage, you'll not only grind your game meat but also your filler meat. The LEM units also allow you to attach a mixer which is really nice for mixing your game grind and filler meat as well as the seasoning.

5. Kwack

Kwack Senior Refuge Member

FB_IMG_1483675804450.jpg Here's a couple hundred pounds of duck/goose summer sausage a bunch of us made last year

okie drake, snipe n and jzee like this.
  6. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG] You can Catch the electric grinders on sale $89-$99 will make life easy. I have 3 grinders, and still use my $89 for a lot of the grinding, have 2 larger grinders I use to run the mixing tub, and the jerky head. I will make 50lbs at a time, sausage is 1 less step, and therefore takes about 1/2 the time of jerky. Should also note a 30lb stuffer with motor makes life easier. About 2.5 hrs on sausage, from start to cleaned up and put away. (2 guys) a neighbor, a non hunter helps make it exchange for some.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Depending on how much you like or dislike the taste of fowl will be the deciding factor on how much you cut it. It goes as fast as I can make it. Funny with all the killers on the site this topic should be way more popular. The Last year we paid to have our birds processed the bill for the season was a little over 4gs. Back then they got $2.85 per pound for summer sausage, and $4.50 per pound for slim Jims. Remember on some of the product you bring in 20lbs and get back 40lbs. Even divided by 4 that still hurts, so I bite the bullet and bought the equipment and have never looked back. In fact I just picked up a Tenderizing attachment out of the Bargin Cave this afternoon. Love that Bargin cave.

It's trail and error process , I would recommend starting with some larger casing first, they are easier to work with. When making Snack sticks or Slim Jims, you are going to have to add water, and will experience some blow outs, but after a time or 2 you will dial it in.

Good Luck keep us posted

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Silver Wings, okie drake and Kwack like this.
  7. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Native is right on with his advice.
    Its like everything now days, $$$$$$$$$$$$, but the right stuff will last a couple of life times.

8. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

LEM, LEM, LEM.

I tried hand grinders, cheap electric grinders, and then before my first elk I got an LEM. You can grind as much or as little as you want. The stainless steel makes sterile cleanup simpler than cleaning your hand grinder. Stuffer attachments make sausage simple.

Mine worked so well I loaned it to a friend that started a restaurant and he used it daily for almost 2 years to make fresh house ground burgers. The only way I got it back was his clientele grew so much he needed a larger capacity one - so he went to LEM and went up 2 sizes.

9. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Do not, under any circumstance, buy the hand crank grinder :no. With the amount of meat you have coming in I'm surprised you don't already have a good sausage making set up. Even if you go with a small 400 watt #8 grinder I think you will quickly find it too small and slow. Once you get into it I think you'll find that you can make a really high quality finished product that your family and friends will enjoy. It ain't rocket science either...it's really pretty simple, but having the right tools makes the job a lot faster and easier.

I currently have a 1hp #22 Cabelas grinder (which I think is made by Lem?). It replaced a little 400 watt machine that we struggled with for a couple years. Knowing what I do now, I'd go straight to 1hp and no less. Buy this book from Eldon's http://www.eldonsausage.com/Sausage-and-Jerky-Handbook-p/ekc-130.htm ...seriously...buy it! You can thank me via PM :tu

10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

JZEE - that is a legit set up. Well done.:bow