Mechanical Broadhead or Fixed Broadhead

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Ole Mossy, Apr 22, 2004.

Mechanical or Fixed Blade?

1. Mechanical Broadhead

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Fixed Blade Broadhead

28 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. Ole Mossy

Ole Mossy Elite Refuge Member

Never liked the idea of mechanical broadheads. I have heard several stories of mechanical broadheads not passing all the way through and then folding up and falling out. Wanted to see what you other bowhunters thought about them.

Ole Mossy

2. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

Ole Mossy,
    I prefer a cut-on-contact broadhead like, Steel Force, Magnus Stinger, Satilite Titan or Phantom(made by Muzzy).

Mechanicals could be used for turkeys. Turkeys are not difficult to penetrate and the wider cutting diameter would assist in the quick kill of the bird. With all the bones and feathers a mechanical would be certain to open.

Otherwise, for deer, I feel that a mechanical broadhead only has to fail 1 time and you're in trouble. I'd just as soon eliminate that possibility from the many other variables that bowhunting already throws at us.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

3. Batman74

Batman74 Moderator Moderator

The only time I would ever consider a mechanical broadhead would be if I was turkey hunting with my bow. For all my other hunting I'll stick with my fixed blade Thunderheads. :tu

4. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

Muzzy all the way!

5. Negissimo

Negissimo Senior Refuge Member

I'm a firm believer in the two blade! Of course some of you high tech compound guys shoot a little fast.

Grizzleys or STOS!

6. arrowheadsaver

arrowheadsaver Senior Refuge Member

I hade a mechanical bounce off a mule deer's shoulder once. I know it was not the best place to shoot him with a bow, but I just missed my mark and the blades were trying to open in the bone and just couldn't The deer is ok, I got another chance at him the next day, but he didn't go the way I wanted him to.

fixed blade all the way.

7. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

I shoot Muzzys. Too many variables with mechanicals. Keep it simple when it comes to bowhunting IMO.

8. Taverner

Taverner Senior Refuge Member

I have always used a fixed blade....I have shot completly throught shoulder blades and had no problems with penetration.

Also you dont have to worry as much with odd angles..if the broadhead is going to "glance" off or penetrate completly.

I have been very pleased with Thunderhead 100 grains with a 2314. Finnished arrow weight is about 475 grains+/- so I have plenty of arrow speed and energy to pass through deer.

9. NE OWL

NE OWL Moderator<br>Pennsylvania Forum<br>Youth Forum

Check out this one out Snyper

These things are awesome. They will open every time. you can push on through a thin plastic bag and the blades will open from it. We sell these at Gander and I have had guys bring in pictures of kills with these and they are amazing. Check them out.

10. fallsflight

fallsflight Elite Refuge Member

I use Muzzy broadheads. I have no use for mechanical. Too many things that can go wrong in my opinion. I've seen it happen first hand with other people shooting them. Fixed all the way.