Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Memorable 2 banded bird from Wade Bourne’s last hunt

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by mister gadwall, Oct 25, 2017.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

After reading some of the recent honors given to Wade Bourne I would like to share with you this picture which I think is a great memory of Wade.

I was privileged to be on Wades last hunt. There were four guys in the blind but no question Wade shot this bird. A double banded hen redhead. I snapped a quick picture that really captures his enthusiasm for every outing. I was standing next to him and was tracking bird myself when he folded it first. He was quite excited about the double band and I was pleased to see him get it. We discussed the pile of bands we had between us , and he commented that his old call lanyard with about all his bands was on display in a glass case at the DU headquarters in Memphis. I urged him to get the bird mounted since it was the first double banded bird he had killed. I ve never killed one like that myself. One of the two bands on the hen was so Worn it was hard to read the numbers, and we all thought the hen must be ancient.

Turns out we called in the band on the way home and found out the bird wasn’t that old, and the band people ( or maybe a D U biologist he called ) told Wade it was likely that the bird had been in some acidic water that had eaten some of the aluminum band.

As always Wade was so excited about the hunt and the double bands. The picture captures that His enthusiasm was always contagious. I will miss him a lot as will many others. Enjoy this memory of one fine fellow.

IMG_1232.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
    Pastor, burgawboy, Reelcranky and 4 others like this.
  2. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

Would that of have been in SEMO? He was a great person who gave greatly to the waterfowl community.

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

The picture was taken in SEMO, yes.