Mercury 2.5 4 stroke?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I've got one of those old black Ted Williams air cooled engines, light, but it might as well be a 36hp mud motor for all the noise it makes.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

14ish pounds?

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Yep, I'm sure it's less than 20.

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Well, yesterday was the maiden voyage. She pushes my 15’ canoe with 2 people and 2 dozen decoys at 7 mph. My canoe is pretty hefty, she is quiet, purs like a kitten, sips fuel and cranks right up. It beats paddling and it bra s walking.

I did lose my kill switch already though. No idea where the hell it went. I got out to launch the boat and noticed it was gone. I ended up robbing the hairpin cotter pun off my hitch to get by

tcc likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I bought an old Johnson 2 hp a few years ago for $80 on CL. The guy had emptied the tank before storage. I Had trouble starting it. Went on line and bought a new diaphragm for the carb. The old spark plug had a good spark, just not getting fuel. When I poured gas into the spark plug hole, put the plug in and cranked hit she'd run good for an instant. With the new diaphragm that I was amazed you could still get, she runs good. This is an old green Johnson, rope started with an exposed flywheel and tank on top. For reverse you simply turn the motor around. Great classic that puts out. Excellent for the skinny water....air cooled, no mud sucking and overheating.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Good deal. Glad it runs well for you. I agree, paddling sucks when you are bundled up.

tcc likes this.