Mercury 25hp motor help.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Ilbucksndux, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

I have never owned a Mercury motor and I'm having issues with mine. It does not have power trim. It has the "shallow drive" lever that works great,but when not using the shallow drive I can not get the motor to stay in the "unlocked" position. I have fiddled with it till Im ready to take a hammer to it.

2. Ilbucksndux

Oh i should add that it is a '99 if that makes a difference.

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

A picture would be helpful, but after you drop the shallow water drive lever and put the lower unit down in the normal run position, raise the lever back into the shallow drive position, but don't raise the lower unit, that should keep the engine unlocked. If not, you've got some other problem (sometimes those things get "out of synch"). I'm basing this on my 25 merc, which is a late 80's early 90's model. Hope this helps.

4. Ilbucksndux

Thanks. I must have something out of wack .

5. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

Stupid question: Is the motor in forward gear?

6. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Should be an Up and Down position on the lever. Put it in Down, lower the motor. Put lever back in Up position, and it should remain unlocked while motor is down.

If its a 4 stroke, it may be different. You may actually need the motor in Forward gear to operate the tilt.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I've had something like this happen on my 2003 25hp Mercury 2-stroke.

While hunting on a cold icy day. I had the tilt mechanism ice over and a small spring broke causing it to be difficult to unlock and tilt.

What can help the tilt from binding and icing up is making sure you lube it with some Mercury 2-4-C grease.

And make sure it is in forward gear.

8. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

9. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

If in gear the motor should release but mine has to be jerked in order to break loose at idle. I think it tilts freely at wot since when I let off the throttle from wot the motor will kick up as I coast to a stop. Will not tilt if in neutral iirc, unless you flip the shallow drive lever down.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Wonder if my Yamaha 9.9 works that way. I hate the lock. I run in stumpy, skinny mud water a lot and I'd rather always have the lock off. I've been using a small bungee cord to constantly hold it down. I'll try the lever down, lever back up technique.