Meritt...what's missing...O yeah.. THE DUCKS !

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Waterfowl fool, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Five hunt parties in Shilo 5 yesterday (Wed, Nov 29th) not a single shot, thats ZERO birds een other than five teal the briushed up in the am on the way out....

The road area 1, saw a total of either 14 or 17, can;t remembr exact... Sad Sad Sad news in the ducks world...

2. dakota31400

dakota31400 Senior Refuge Member

I don't think I heard but 50 shots arcross the entire river last Saturday, and maybe three or four volleys on Sunday. A good lesson for the internet scouts.

3. Chopper

Chopper Senior Refuge Member

Had a MI permit for this weekend. I'm at home finishing some honey doos. Maybe by next weekends split. Will see. Still grateful to be able to be outside.

4. jadda

jadda Senior Refuge Member

Weather stinks here in Tampa Bay...My outdoor side is fighting with my common sense side to try to sneek out and hunt a hole in the sky. Seen a few ducks here. Hopefully the cold front will push them down.

5. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

There flooding some of the impoundments with the brackish lagoon water in order to "diversify the habitat" and try to get native vegitation to grow inside as well as for a few other reasons. This is the reason the hunting is downhill at MI and will be for the next few years. The Refuge was all freshwater for the most part and was surrounded by 4 large bodies of salt water (lagoon, Indian, Banana, Atlantic) making it a haven for ducks and duck hunters in the middle of an otherwise salty area. But now that their salting up some of the impoundments, the hunting is going down hill...fast. Who knows, it could be a couple years before the hunting even returns to average around the refuge. One things for sure they seem to be pretty good at messing things up for us hunters.

6. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Agreed .. I have shiloh 5 on the 10th and the 17th and I will NOT be taking up the 10th... will wait until the 17th.. Hopeflly by then something...

We always have a way of screwing things up when we "assume" things will be better in the end... I can't remember it but I am sure there are people rolling over about the "happenings" going on with the Kissimmee River now.... Makes me :scratch my head and want to :doh myself sometimes.... In the end it's just man screwing stuff up again...

But then again, it's more than likely out of my brain spectrum :tu

7. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

8. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

You are almost incorrect on all. They are not salting up any of the impoundments but just the opposite, but you got the 4 salt water bodies right. Just how long have you hunted it anyway?

9. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

hunted MI since i was 8 years old....and yes i realize they claim to be draining the impoundments but thats just not the case. I saw the water level in East Gator rise a clear foot overnight, this was without any rain what so ever. I called the refuge on this matter and they informed me that they did raise the water in East Gator "temporarily" so they can drain in properly later in the year. Not sure what that means??

Ask any local who has knowledge about the refuge, They claimed to do the same thing 10 years ago in West Gator and it still hasn’t fully recovered.

They "claim" to be draining the impoundments to allow for a diversification in the marsh and the growth of duck food. But the reverse is happening in some cases. Even if saltwater gets in for only a coupel days when they open the gastes, things get messed up. every time they have done this in the past they have got it completely wrong, and this years hunting is evidence of that once again. Give them a call and ask them about the water levels, or drive biolab and check the flood gates where the lagoon water is pouring into the impoundment, or even just stick your finger in the water and give it a taste, it'll be nice and brackish in a few of the impoundments, trust me.

This is a statement directly from MINWR

"Proper water level and adequate food availability are two very important aspects of waterfowl habitat. To ensure continuing high-quality habitat, marsh restoration projects were initiated. ...Restoring the marsh areas by reconnecting them to the river will allow for greater species diversity in the impoundments. It will also be a part of the overall management of the Indian River Lagoon System in its entirety. Short-term inconveniences to waterfowl hunters
    may be realized in some areas ...If you have questions about this project, contact the Refuge Headquarters..."

I realize what they claim to be doing and Im not trying to call you a liar. But what they claim to do and what they actually do in the process of draining the impoundments is completly different. I think you might have misconstrued my comments a little bit, they absolutely are letting salt water into some of the impoundments, and it is wreaking havoc.

Give them a call and ask them yourself.

10. dakota31400

dakota31400 Senior Refuge Member

Just remember, before the dikes were built, there was little to no fresh water, just estuarine marsh and Mangrove communtiies that were part of, and an integral component of the river system.......

Restoration=back to what it was.

IMO, The dikes need to be totally removed. The world does not revolve around duck hunters......

So for ten years or so the hunting fizzles out.....but then, just maybe, future generations of sportsman may just get our wishes of today.

I watched that river die in the 80's....it's good to see it comming back now.

There was a time wading in the flats was near impossible without falling on your face with the sea grass wrapped around your legs. By 1985, the bottom was sand with rocks covered in red algae and Ulva..All the grass was gone

I see a difference today...the grasses are returning and the water is cleaner. Fishing is improving, but the crabbing industry is gone.

Too bad all the spawning grounds for sea trout and blue crab are locked away behind mounded dirt.....as is the potential assistance from the most productive ecoystem know to man....The mangrove!