Merriams in NE vs SD

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Feb 11, 2017.

1. DJ

DJ Senior Refuge Member

I hunted the Rosebud Sioux Indian Reservation about 5 years ago. I hunted with a guide, and I say that loosely, that not only didn't live there anymore but when we did see turkeys, ask me if they were Merriams. That arrangement lasted 1 day. Moved over with my cousin that was hunting with Eastman Hunts and hunted with Charles DuBray. Definitely would go with him again. Admittedly stated he didn't know how to hunt turkeys but for sure put us on them for 2 days straight. Stayed in the truck until we either killed one or were ready to try someplace else. Took us to a prairie dog town one afternoon also, that was a blast, literally.

2. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Each reservation in SD has their own licensing system and probably their own prices. I don't think the one around here (Sisseton-Wahpeton) requires a guide. They will sell you the tag or tags and give you a map of tribal land and wish you good luck!! I am sure that you probably can hire a guide if you wish and they will make the location of tribal land an easier task. They will likely also get you into some of the land privately owned by Native Americans that can be hunted with permission. Some of the birds in ne SD are Merriams, some are Eastern, some are mixed breeds including some that are likely mixed with domestic turkeys. The turkeys haven't figured out that they are anything but WILD and they can be a challenge!! I have an acquaintance that comes over from Minnesota and gets a tribal license quite regularly and has a good time hunting and is typically successful. Not sure, but I think he usually stays at the Super 8 motel here in Sisseton.

3. seiowa

seiowa Senior Refuge Member

4. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

If you can get on their web site, you can probably get that information. I know they have a limited number of deer licenses and you have to be there in the morning the day they start selling them worthy are sold out at $300 a pop!! I think they have more turkey permits but can’t swear to it because I hunt on state land with a state license for turkeys and those normally disappear the first drawing, also! If you look under Sisseton Wahpeton Sioux Tribe and then under game and fish, you can probably find who to contact about a turkey license!
    Jerry