Merritt Island boy!

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by All Day, Oct 2, 2016.

1. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

When I was just 16 years of age (44 years ago), I hunted the Indian river side. It was my first season at waterfowling. There were NO other hunters in the area the whole 1972 season. I remember limits of six mostly lesser scaup and teal. A row boat and a single shot 12 gauge were the only tools I had! Fond memories indeed! How is the area now? Is it overrun and mis-managed like our public areas up here in Wa state?

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

You will not be happy..... The refuge boundary sticks way out in the I.R. now...and you need a $25 permit to hunt inside the boundary or impounds *all season* Wed /Sat/ Sun (new this year)
    The explosion of mud rigs have every teen wannabe duck commander "scouting" ducks by riding around like drunken frat boys scaring every duck off the water....
    Add in the giant rise in "flats fishing" and you have crowds of people who think *you* are in *their spot*...

How's that sound? ;)

3. All Day

Damn! If I wasn't already depressed I would be now! I am happy to have some good memories of the area. Can you at least fish for mullet in the I.R.?

4. duckmanJR

I'm getting ready to bug out in front of hurricane Matthew...Sebastian is in the line of fire so we're heading to a daughters home in SW fla.

But, Habitat mismanagement is not unique to your area..we have plenty of that.

As for mullet... I suggest you research the IR lagoons water quality issues and it's loss of seagrass.... The whole 150 miles of the IR lagoon is in serious trouble...and decline. To say that the place is only a shadow of what it was only 7 - 10 years ago would be a huge understatement.

5. All Day

I hope the hurricane doesn't cause you any damage!

6. duckmanJR

Well, I dodged a big bullet...only damage was my mailbox door blew open and my mail got soaked.... FEMA,Where are you :l

All Day likes this.
  7. All Day

Glad to hear it!