Mexican taxidermists n Whooping Cranes

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Hiram Evans, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

I read where somebody turned a bunch of Whooping Cranes loose in Louisiana. If someone shot one, by mistake, could he get it mounted in Mexico? Does anyone here know a Mexican taxidermist?

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Take your pick: 45 days in jail plus a fine :

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_76a9229c-66fe-11e7-9430-2b48c091a2d9.html

or , if you get the right judge, an $85,000 fine and probation. "South Dakotan Jeff Blachford, 26, has been handed a stiff sentence that includes $85,000 in restitution and two years of probation for violating the Federal Endangered Species Act after shooting and killing an endangered whooping crane"

Roll the dice and take your chances...

3. Hiram Evans

Those things must be rare in South Dakota and that is why ole Jeff got fined so much, $85,000?. Here in Louisiana they are all over the place, and the La shooter, who shot it by mistake, was only fined $2,500.00. And, the article said the game wardens killed it the next day, they should have let it live and limp around, its was still a live crane and could have lived in a zoo or a park or something. If the La guy hadn't got turned in by whoever ratted on him, he might have been able to get it mounted. I don't think its right to punish that guy if it was truly the Wildlife and Fisheries who killed it.

4. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

The guy from Gueydan should have gotten off with the lesser charge of whooping Crane slaughter. He shot it in the heat of passion.

5. jhallmark5841

jhallmark5841 Refuge Member

One of these days I'm going to do a side by side taste comparison of a whooper, blue heron, sandhill, and hell maybe even an egret. Reverse seared to medium rare in butter, garlic, and a little rosemary. Served with some corn maque choux and garlic biscuits. And of course start everything off with an appetizer of fried whole cedar waxwing, prepared like the French Ortolan. Pair it with none other than Louisiana's finest craft beer, Ghost in the Machine by Parish Brewing Company, and you would have a meal fit for a king.

bullpinnie, Duck Enticer and DComeaux like this.
  6. Hiram Evans

I had a girlfriend who could French Ortolan.

jhallmark5841 likes this.