Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Mid October SK Waterfowl Hunt

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by stiffany, Jun 14, 2016.

1. stiffany

stiffany New Member

Hey all, I am brand new to this site so I'm learning as I go and trying to read as much as possible. I am looking for anyone who is willing to give any info/insight into waterfowl hunting SK in the middle of October. Little bit about myself. I live in Maryland and waterfowl hunt everyday that I can! Our season doesn't start until early December and we mainly kill geese in the central part of the state. A group of friends and myself have decided to take the 30+ hour romp across the US into SK. We have our own rig, gear and set-up so we will be trying to complete a DIY hunt. We have about a 10 day window starting around October 10 that we will be in the area trying to get on birds. Everything I've read says its all about putting in the hours chasing birds and asking for permission and this is completely fine by us! If we go the whole week w/o unloading the guns we will still enjoy the trip hanging with quality friends and not working! I am looking for anyone who is willing to help out at all ie; getting into Canada, do and dont's, licenses, areas, maps, best place to start looking for birds and land? Anything at all to spark a conversation. Send me an PM on here or you can always email at stiffany21@gmail.com. Thanks!

Steve

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

First thing , make sure you are eligible for entrance into Canada. If you have any assault charges, or and DUI /DWI charges, drug charges etc, you will probably be turned back at the border unless you are prepared to do some work . You can search this site for previous threads on the topic. Your timing looks good, you will just have to decide where you want to go. Last couple of years, the flyway has moved farther west, so you may want to explore those areas first.

3. stiffany

stiffany New Member

Thanks for the response. We will not have any issues with legal stuff getting into Canada, but thanks for the info. Are you talking about the western part of SK closer to Alberta? Is that where the flyway has moved? Would you know of any areas or towns in the western part of SK that could give us agood point to start looking? Through some brief research it looks like most of the SK guides work out of the central part of the region, I haven't found any near the Alberta line. Thanks again

4. GooseChaser1

GooseChaser1 Senior Refuge Member

Welcome stiffany,

Swiftcurrent, lots of Specks, Snow's and Ducks with DU walk in areas.

Be sure to have all of the paper work filled out but not signed bring firearms into Canada, you will be asked to sign the form's at the boarder crossing.

Check out the boarder crossing time's, some are not 24 hours crossing points.

Also, stop at the US boarder crossing and fill out the paper work for high end items you are taking into Canada (guns, binoculars, cameras,). The reason for this in not to pay duty when you come back into the US.

PM me if you want more info.

Dennis S. (Rio Rancho, NM)

5. mink creek drake

mink creek drake Senior Refuge Member

First, listen to Bang. He is always helpful and always right on. Second, welcome to Refuge forums. Next, Canada free lance hunting. Been going since mid 90's. Great people in Saskatchewan. It will take a lot of time to figure it out. I hope you have a good trip.

6. blackthunder

blackthunder Senior Refuge Member

Sent you a pm. Feel free to contact me. I am willing to give you a hand.

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Here are some Ducks Unlimited Canada projects that are open to walk in hunting,

http://www.waterfowling.com/waterfowling-in-canada/

If you come across other DUC projects that aren't listed on the map, they may be under private ownership and you will have to talk to the farmer/landowner to gain permission.

8. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

My best advise is call conservation officers and tell them what type of birds you would like to hunt and how big of a town you are looking for. They know all the towns big and small and they steered me to a town I have been going to for the last 15 years.

blackthunder likes this.