Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

mid range and tweeter's for E-caller?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by evanupnorth, Dec 9, 2016.

1. evanupnorth

evanupnorth Refuge Member

I built an e-caller last year, ended up selling it off.

Im considering rebuilding my snow spread and need to build a new e-caller,
    im just curious if anyone has experimented with using other speakers than horn speakers?

Just curious if a guy could add a few tweeters/midrange speakers to the box or if it would help or make a difference in clarity etc..?

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

horns a

My Homemade rig has eight horns, and eight marine speakers. typically, I place the horns around the perimeter, and the marine speaker in the center.

3. evanupnorth

what kind of sound quality and strength/distance do you get form the marine speakers?
    that sounds like a seriously loud e-caller..?

ive been told they will try to land or focus on where the sounds is coming from, ive noticed this in the past my self, does spreading speakers out spread them out

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

It is not really that loud. The interior with the marine speakers in not as loud as the horns, but the sound quality is much better. I point the horns out, and the marine speakers up. I keep the volume med/ med Low, and try to keep snow sounds over the entire spread.

5. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

evan 1st can, not find the name of the tyvek dealer sorry 2nd; bull is right on we use pyle radios with sd cards, wired right u get 2 sounds per card we have 4 boxes with 4 radios ea and 8 hookups 2 boxes r hard wired with horns and ind sounds for long range at 400yds I hit the off . the other 2 r remote and all 16 speakers are small marine with murmmers and really quiet they will land on them this works often for us like all snow hunting its day to day [ hope u gave up the rag idea]

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The marine speakers tend to be low efficiency for the most part around 84-87 db/watt-meter, and to get the advantage of smaller amps in the field, you should look for speakers that are really efficient, probably in the 98-103 db/watt meter range to take advantage. You would need a lot of power to drive those 87 db speakers to any kind of volume in the field.

7. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Again, only 87 db at 1 watt/meter. Very hard to drive them loud/clean. Would be ok for when the birds get close and you want to turn the volume down a bit.

9. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

Again, ran 40 of them this past spring and they got louder than I'd ever need with sound quality being 100% better than a horn. Make one of the units in the ecaller thread and purchase 4 and try them out for youself, you'll be very impressed I'm almost guaranteeing that. Never been a fan of having the speakers screaming. More of a get the sound across the entire spread and have it sound really good, the decoys and flags get the attention of birds long before the sound does.

10. evanupnorth

that's allot of info much appreciated guys