Migration Day

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, Nov 20, 2017.

1. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Saturday morning was an impressive migration day. Large flights of duck pushed through south central Kansas, riding a strong north wind. Loads of Green-wing teal & mallard, with sprinkles of divers. I don’t experience migration days, like that every season & they are ones to remember.

Most hunts - I’m worried about concealment & everyone wearing face masks.… Saturday, we could stand outside the blind doing jumping jax and shooting off flares… nothing mattered, they were tired and looking for a rest area.

Mason Fouquet Nov 2016.jpg

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

We had the same experience and the birds had almost no fat on them, suggesting they had been flying hard. Lots of green wings, some mallards and a bluebill rounded out our straps. Gotta love migration days, usually get a couple per season where the stars align.

Making it even better, I took a buddy who is fairly new to duck hunting and he shot his first limit. A great day!

3. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Glad you guys had that experience! Nice going.

I was out Saturday and didn't see any new bird movement where I was. Hunted the same birds I have been messing with for a couple weeks now. Giving them different looks every day.

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Same for us. We were trying to put the a-frame together and my brother shot 3 with three shots before we got it done. Hunt was over in 20 min and birds continued coming in as we picked up.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

"We were trying to put up the blind to hide from the birds, but the birds wouldn't leave us alone long enough to get it put up" :l :l :l

Tuleman likes this.
  6. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

Man - I didn't see that. I hunted alogn the MO river and saw very few birds Saturday & Sunday. Location, location....

7. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

More birds left my area!