Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Migration Is On?????

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by mrmallerd, Dec 22, 2003.

1. SangamonIL

SangamonIL Senior Refuge Member

Sorry, not meant to be offensive i.e. "run down". Just the facts, and yes the Brick, and that bar inside the boat are pretty cool places to wet the whistle.

2. CANME

CANME Elite Refuge Member

Maybe in your big city you can keep it "up to date" but in the "run down" towns they know how to count. There is only 61. Just Kidding LOL. As for how it is controlled, shear magic. With the Barhausen Levee out, low levees, and a very small budget, the guys at the "nois" do a great job making Sanganois a great place for all wildlife. There is an organization that has been started by concerned hunters called "Friends of Sanganois." Hopefully people will join and get involved to help get this site back to its natural state.

3. SangamonIL

I know there is more than 61 blinds, we had blind 65 on crane lake last year. Yep we are friends of Sanganois too, it really is a good place to hunt. Decatur inst much to brag about, a lot more bruthas or cuz's than in your town. :l :l

4. CANME

CANME Elite Refuge Member

There isnt a blind 1, and there isnt blinds 34-39 and there is not a blind 63 which equals 61. There ya go. lol

5. SangamonIL

Thanks for making me look stupid. Just Kidding. :D :l :l Thanks for the info though. Didnt know that.

6. Orange_airbrakes

Orange_airbrakes Elite Refuge Member

Yup and some more useless trivia, Blinds 34-39 used to be in Ash Swale which is now refuge. Blind 63 sat up behind 68, which is now filled in and no lnger has water on it unless the river gets about 20' Man I've hunted that place to long!:rolleyes:

7. buckduck

buckduck Elite Refuge Member

So. zone has plenty of home grown skybusters and if we do run short we import a few from the central and northern zone.A good duck hunter can kill ducks at rend if the others let him. Know the capibilitys of your gun and the load you shoot and you`ll kill more ducks. Pattern you gun and load and how to judge range..That will tell you a lot.

8. duckhead00

duckhead00 Guest

what i think happens and not to sound like a refuge master.. guys are afraid they get a duck or ducks to work them a couple times and they are afraid if they dont shoot now they may not get to shoot them... your right buck.. you summed it all up .. if guys would let guys kill ducks.. hell i probably outta start shooting at more but if there not in the decoys sitting or comming into them i usually dont shoot ..

9. Orange_airbrakes

Orange_airbrakes Elite Refuge Member

That's the key at all the public areas.
    Duckhead quote:
    "guys are afraid they get a duck or ducks to work them a couple times and they are afraid if they dont shoot now they may not get to shoot them.. "

That is exactly the problem! However if everyone would let them work, someone will eventually get em to do it right, (15 yds, "Orange Airbrakes" danglin) it might not be you every time but you will get your turn. The guys that bust em 50-60yds high as soon as they set their wings Alla~ Sanganois and Anderson, are greed driven! It's the all to common: "If we don't shoot, then some one else will." numbers game that they play. They think if they go back to the check station without a big number on the kill card people won't know how great a hunter they are.:rolleyes: Just me talking, but I'd rather kill a hand full that WORKED as opposed to killing out and wasting 3 boxes of shells, chasing cripples all day. Another benefit to only shooting working ducks, They won't get near as Blind, call, and decoy shy, simply because they aren't getting shot at as much. When a bunch works in close there are fewer survivors to remember and join the next bunch and lead them away. But I know some guys are starving and must kill every duck that sets it's wings.:h

10. ringedneck

ringedneck Senior Refuge Member

Orange, thats one of the best posts i've ever read on an internet duck forum. I agree 100% and you are right on the money.