Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Migration status

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by River hunter, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Redleggs

Redleggs Senior Refuge Member

December 22. Nearly 60 degrees. To be in 70s here tomorrow and no end in this warm spell in sight.
    I'm at home baking Christmas cookies while I live only 15 minutes from Carlyle subs. That should tell you how migration is going.
    The ducks we have here are living on private property and are starting to spread out on different food sources. Increasing numbers of light geese and specks.
    Come on Santa cut us a break!!!
    Merry & blessed Christmas to all. This is a year to dedicate quality with family time at home instead of in a duck blind staring at empty skies with family.

cornbuzzzard likes this.
  2. DarrenDuck

DarrenDuck Senior Refuge Member

Could not agree more! Seems like I looked at alot of empty skies this year - in several different hunting spots. Didn't waste my time. Could have had a better time playing golf than staring at empty skies!

3. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Could not disagree more, our club just finished its 2nd best year in the last 7 that we have kept records, took a lot of mallards since the storm around Thanksgiving.

4. Redleggs

We've had a good year too. But--- migration is stalled in central to northern Illinois with southern Illinois needing new birds. We desperately need a cold front that pushes some of those Illinois river mallards our way. We've yet to see any of the late mallards. Still seeing pintails gadwalls and widgeon around here.
    We've even had a major reverse migration coupled with northerly migration of snow geese and specs. Their numbers are starting to really build.
    This has been the most segmented migration of my lifetime. Two words sum it up El Niño. I've seen a few of them and this one had been the most pronounced.
    Perhaps the front developing this week will promote some migration and with the flooding expected this week the SC and South zones may finally see some action a little more towards the norm.

5. Redleggs

Well we get another extreme from El Niño!!!! Over 9 inches rain in about 60 hours has made Carlyle lake and Shelbyville one continuous body of water. You could get to Shelbyville without navigating the river.
    Flooding has closed roads that have not been ever closed before. Make sure and check with IDOT before driving I70
    Routes 51 and 40.
    The Carlyle subs are flooded as of today.
    These flood levels are historic and dangerous. Be safe and if your not familiar with the flood plain you should not be messing around in the flood waters.
    We are picking up some birds but it's a chore to get under them. If you don't know what your doing don't mess with the flood water.

riverrat47 likes this.
  6. Redleggs

The late mallards have come to the dance and some of the pintail and gadwall that migrated thru earlier are back. Scads of green wings on hand. Seeing some buffies & various divers in numbers. We have a sandwich migration right now.

duck_killer00 likes this.
  7. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Been seeing groups of geese flying south this am..peoria area

8. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

We have been emptying out our geese for the last week in MN-WI. A lot of ducks also . You guys should be pounding them. Wish I had access to some corn in IL.

9. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Ya I watched many groups of Mallards fly by yesterday..my son had fun practicing his duck call..at one time he looks up at me and says..why don't they make the season later so we can hunt ducks when ducks are here..man a 10yr old can figure it out:scratch

Mark Bunch likes this.
  10. Mark Bunch

Mark Bunch New Member

A lot of specks are everywhere. More than I've ever seen around the central illinois area. Seems like we are just now getting smaller pushes of Canada geese. But I see 10 to 1 specks vs canadas.

Time to invest in a specklebelly spread, I believe more and more are going to keep showing up in the following years. A lot of juvy specks.