Mike Barrett flying decoys??

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by greenheadkilla, Apr 3, 2013.

1. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I think both sets are wood. I have a pair of Plaster cans, love them but the wood does look better!

2. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Then you weren't around DU about 8-10 years ago. They were the pennicale of most banquests, may have been 12 years ago actually. He had cans, woodies, mallys and anothr I cant recall, all repo's.

The cans are very nice, if they are signed on the wings, they are repos, body, wooden,

3. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I could be wrong but I thought that the ones flying on their side were mostly made from a mold. Those are flying straight ahead and look like the real good ones.

4. greenheadkilla

greenheadkilla Senior Refuge Member

Yeah all the signatures are on the ducks back.

5. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

I had no idea mike's stuff was so valuable. He's a friend of my buddy Kurt Buggs of Janesville,WI. Who has a shop called Signworks but is just as much a decoy junkie as an artist and sign maker. I just got off the phone with Kurt and learned a bunch of stuff about those fliers and about Mike Borrett. I guess Mike lives in Oregon,WI. And isn't that much older than I am. He still carves actively and Kurt said that he has some of Mike's fliers on order right now and has had for over 2 years.lol Mike also carves fish and more stuff than just fliers. Kurt has a number of Mike's fliers as well as numerous fish and half wood duck decoys from Mike also. Kurt has even sawed some of Mike's duck decoys in half and stuck them on some of Kurt's hand painted signs. I was like, YOU WHAT! You sawed some in half? It sounds crazy I thought but I've seen 'em in person and they are cool. I just never realized that they were some of Mike's decoys that Kurt had cut in half. kurt also confirmed what has been said on here about the value and the going prices of Mike's stuff. He said that the decoys he owns he would sell too which I guess doesn't surprise me as being an entreprenuer and self employed business man, almost Everything Kurt has is for sale! Lol His shop is FULL of decoys and memorabilia. He's a packrat IMO and I tease him about it at times but he does pretty good for himself and seems to know EVERYBODY! Tony, you should have taken that flier home with you when you had the chance at the decoy show in Feb. It sure isn't going to get any cheaper in the future! Kurt had a pretty fair price on it too. A couple of the cans are gonna come home with ME one of these days! I'll bet I have something to trade for them instead of buying them outright. kurt loves to haggle and trade stuff! Lol

6. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I should've but I wanted canvasbacks. Here is one of his wooden 58" muskies that's on my wall!
    [​IMG]

7. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

What a beautiful fish!

8. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Elite Refuge Member

Great looking work! :tu