Military Display

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by DComeaux, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

A military parade in the US could be tastefully done or it could be a scary disaster...

Tastefully done would include honoring veterans and active duty men and women with fly-bys and fly-overs of military aircraft. A scary disaster would be showing anything that looks like a tank, missle, marching troops, etc...

The_Duck_Master, chuam, stump and 2 others like this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I completely agree.

3. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Here's a novel idea. Take the millions of dollars that would be spent on a useless parade and build a few VA doctor clinics in areas that need them. For God's sake use your head, it's not that hard.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

And present a HUUUGE target of opportunity, both for civilians and military, for any different number/type of nutbags.

5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

B-i-l is still active Army, sister did her 6 and out. Have friends' kids who are active Marines, etc.

I really don't see the need for this. We don't need rows of troops marching down streets with tanks, missile launchers, etc. I cannot honestly believe someone looked at that and said, "this is a great idea"...

The legions didn't come into Rome. We know what American military power looks like. Put the money towards the VA, or more bullets to put downrange on ISIS, or give servicemen and women a few extra bucks in their checks. Do something that really helps and honors them, don't have a huge show of support that doesn't actually support anyone except the people who will have to pick up the trash along the route afterwards...

The_Duck_Master and Bear like this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Just took a survey of the 5 soldiers sitting in my lab. Consists of a CW5, CW3, 2X CW2s, and a SSG. None agree with a gigantic military parade. Neither do any of the 8 veterans on my team.

7. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

I too, vehemently disagree with a military parade in DC or anywhere. We are not a military state. As said by many: other countries march well but the US fights well. However, I do remember "Armed Forces Day(s)" from my time in the service and, in retrospect, they seem similar. Once, we loaded approximately one infantry company in chalks of 10-15 paratroopers each on 10 C-130's to fly up to Andrews Air Force Base and stage a mass tactical parachute drop. Can't remember exactly but normally one C-130 could carry most of a company. Hell of a show for somebody when 10 C-130's came ripping in at 800 feet chucking 5 or 6 guys out of each door instead of the usual 50 plus. Seemed like a waste of time and money. Also during my enlistment we once had the entire 82nd Airborne Division (about 18,000 troops) march and stand in review with bayonets attached in some sort of show of force. Not sure why but must have been impressive. Lastly, Capabilities Exercises (CAPEX's), were fairly common during the Reagan years. It wasn't unusual to have most any military branch who were nearby come out and do their thing for people and politicians on stage. Always cool to see those A-10's, AC-130's, M-1's and everything else they could crank up come out and shoot in a show of force.

8. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

trump think it's a good idea........

"Mr. Trump and his advisers first floated the idea of a parade of military convoys through Washington soon after he was elected. The committee planning his inaugural ceremony reportedly explored, but rejected, the idea of highlighting military equipment in the traditional parade, from the Capitol to the White House, after Mr. Trump was sworn in.

The full potential and grandeur of a military a parade was on full display for Mr. Trump last July, when he watched — and by all accounts, thoroughly enjoyed — a Bastille Day celebration in Paris. Once he returned home, Mr. Trump said he told President Emmanuel Macron of France that he was considering the idea of a similar spectacle in the United States.

“I came back and one of my early calls were, ‘I think we are going to have to start looking at that ourselves,’” Mr. Trump recounted of his conversation with Mr. Macron months later, at the United Nations in September. “We are actually thinking about Fourth of July, Pennsylvania Avenue, having a really great parade to show our military strength.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/us/politics/trump-military-parade-america.html

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yeah guys...just show a bunch of newsreel videos of Saddam et al getting the living loving bombed out of them and his sons all shot to hell. Then his video of stand here...drop and kick video.

I suspect this parade deal is more to show Little Kim we are ready...and willing to kick his ever loving azz to give him one more time to sober up before we have to turn his country into a bunch of fish ponds and swimming pools.

Cyber attack his news media and show all of the above and Gen. Curtis LaMay's statement translated into Korean..."If you kill enough of them they will quit fighting."

That'll stimulate a few concerns from his population about the wisdom of their latest and greatest.

10. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I guess I see it as a recruiting tool. Most active duty guys are going to be against it for basically one reason (and I am with them) They don't want to have to be in it. That thing would suck. If you were in Division, you remember All American week and the suck that was standing in formation for 4 hours just begging to hear "PASS and REVIEW!" and the huge sigh of relief you heard from the formation when the adjutant called it out. 15,000 paratroopers in formation, in May, in NC with weapons with fixed bayonets... I remember we had to sharpen our bayonets in order to make them shine better in the sun... no lie. I have never been so happy to double time down Ardennes in jump boots in my entire life.

But if you look at it from a recruiting stand point, people (and more importantly kids) want to see our equipment, they want to see cool hardware, they want to see daytime airborne ops, fast roping, sling loads etc. Do you think the Blue Angels and the AF Falcons do their thing just because? Do you think Division jumps into air shows for training purposes? No, it is a huge recruiting tool. In this day and age, people aren't exactly joining up by the droves to serve their country, especially now that the economy is doing better. There are fewer and fewer people joining up just to serve their country. I think this is a bad good idea, I think the left doesn't like it because Trump thought of it, I don't like the idea because I know it would be a long, painful goat circus of an ordeal.

YL03

Deadrise and Bear like this.