Military Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Mattcarlson7, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mattcarlson7

Mattcarlson7 Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys, I hunt alot of Ducks out of Idaho. Trouble is the military decided it would be humorous to send me to Korea for a year. As luck would have it i found out I will be coming to Alaska (by fairbanks) from the first week in August until second week in Sept. I am looking for anyone willing to take me out duck hunting during this time. I wont have anything for supplies but my calls. I am not picky about equipment if you are nice enough to let me use it. Willing to help pay Gas, shells, food, hotel whatever the costs need to be. I am really looking to try and get out and shoot species i dont get in idaho especially any kind of sea ducks. I have shot lots of Divers and puddlers in Idaho. I have plenty of pictures and/or references to verify that I can shoot and am a safe hunter. I know it is early in the year to be talking about this already but i just found out when we will be going and would like as much time as i can to set this up. May even be willing to get a rental car to get to anchorage if i have to.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

A long long time ago, my best friends dad was stationed in Korea for a year while the family staid back in Anchorage. Early 1970's maybe. The local Korean civilians that he worked with in the base admin office took him duck hunting a few times. Flocks of thousands of asian teal, and gunning all day with party limits.

At the time of year you will be here the ducks are just meat ducks - all brown - so there is not much for trophy quality to be had. Sea ducks are around in some spots, but a lot of them will still be on fresh water in the interior.

There are quite a few guys on here from Fairbanks. They take scoters up there in the early part of September. The scoters spend their summers on fresh water nesting in the boreal forest so you will see a lot of them along the Yukon and Tanana rivers as they migrate to the coasts.

3. Mattcarlson7

Mattcarlson7 Senior Refuge Member

I would take anything i could get, i dont mount birds but just to say hey i got the chance to hunt alaska and got said species of bird would be awesome. I can appreciate the moment, dont need a trophy! Like i said though hunting something i have never gotten before would be my main goal!

As far as the hunting here goes, i have seen quite a few birds, but getting on a hunt anymore is impossible unless you know someone specifically. Which i am trying to do!!1

4. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Check back with us as September draws near, I am sure someine can get you out, lots of good folks up there in Fairbanks.

5. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

I will be hunting the first 2 weeks of Sept out of King Salmon AK, you are welcome to fly down to hunt with us for 2-3 days and stay at my lodge as my Guest. You will have to catch a flight on AK air or Penn air to King Salmon though. Its kinda spendy but thats the best i can do. Most of the ducks will be brown but a few Brant and early geese move through the Kvichak Bay early on along with a few sea ducks. Mostly Teal,Wigeon mallards and Cranes.

http://www.alaskaduckhuntingguides.com

6. srduck

srduck Senior Refuge Member

7. srduck

srduck Senior Refuge Member

Gitting closer... Are you still looking for a hunt?

8. jp_over

jp_over Refuge Member

I'm in Anchorage and have a couple of spots open (have canoe, extra shotgun, waders, camo, etc). PM me if you want to hunt down this way.