Oklahoma Flyway Forum Sponsors

Millet Planting

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by duxndog, Jul 11, 2016.

1. duxndog

duxndog New Member

Hey all,

I've been working on building a duck hole out on my farm for a few years and the dozer work finally started Saturday. The duck hole will be 4+acres and controllable with a dike and gate. I'm wanting to plant millet when they finish up in a couple weeks and wanted opinions on types of millet and planting methods anyone has had experiences with...location is Muskogee area. Looking for first hand knowledge on the topic?? Thanks in advance!

2. me&mylab

me&mylab Elite Refuge Member

I've always planted it the second half of August. Simply top seed it on shiny mud and hope the rains fall right.

The cost to you for availing yourself of my knowledge is an invite to hunt it this fall!

3. TUGREENHEADHUNTER

TUGREENHEADHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I have a spot near wagoner just like the one you are describing. I will not plant my millet until around the 20th of Aug. With the heat we are having right now the millet will burn up. Jap millet has about a 60 day germination cycle and will be ready for you to put water on it before the start of season. I have good experiences with Japanese, Foxtail, brown top, proso millet and buck wheat. You shouldn't have any problems getting the Japanese millet at the farmers co-op. Good luck with it. Let me know if you have any questions.

4. duxndog

duxndog New Member

Thank you both for the insight. TU,what method of planting do you use. I've found several places that carry Jap Millet, but only found Chouteau Lime to carry Jap, Foxtail, and pearl millet. Does a a mix, or single type work best. I'd love to visit with you more about how to manage your wetland as this is all new to me...thanks guys

5. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

The quality of your mud is the most important thing for jap millet. You want it soupy not firm after that just cross your fingers. The moisture content of your soil will dictate whether or not jap millet or browntop. Wetter=jap drier=browntop.

6. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Ive had some experience with Jap millet. Just broadcast on very wet soil. As long as there's adequate moisture it's hearty enough to do its thing. It will do well when flooded as long as it's not fully submerged.

7. Greenwing555

Greenwing555 Senior Refuge Member

In ca u go to jail for baiting duck hunting ponds

8. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

Why are to telling us this?

9. Greenwing555

When I was young my dad and myself stumbled across a little duck club but know one was hunting it and birds were dumping into it and come to find out it was planted with millit lol

10. Greenwing555

Oh just shows how messed up ca is