Mink Furs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by marsh fox, Oct 10, 2013.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Cut a long story short, in Lincolnshire we lease a river bank 15 Kilometer with its flood areas, on some marshes there is a high ferral mink problem. Released fur breeding stock in the 1970s spawned this population, these pests are decimating the ducks localy and we are slowly getting a few, the question was asked could we sell the pelts . But much phoning around over here as come up with a total blank, are there any fur trading outfits over there that would buy small amounts from over here can you recomend any to contact there?, and more importantly do you think it could be a practical sourse of revenue with the export and inport costs taken in to account. Any thoughts? Is it a option or a dead loss?

2. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I would contact "Fur,Fish, and Game" magazine in Columbus, Ohio. They cover the world fur markets for their readership. They might know someone who knows someone.

www.furfishgame.com

FWIW, I know that a lot of US fur ends up in the far east. You may have a market there.

Good luck.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Your looking at $20 -$30 U.S. for pellets from what is considered Wild Mink, price depends on quality of the fur.
    Contact these folks they have buyers all over the world and may be able to hook you up
    http://www.nafa.ca/about

4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what your laws are - but research by Delta Waterfowl suggests that you would want to hammer your mink during the nesting/fledgling season, when pelts would be worth very little.

If your laws allow it - I would trap them relentlessly during nesting and just discard the carcasses.

5. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

You have to trap them when they are prime to be worth anything. Preferably this would be During your winter/early spring. After that their value will be nothing.

The NAFA guys will get you in touch with someone to buy your hides. If they still have the pelts similar to that of the farm mink they will go for higher than your average wild mink.

6. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Thanks for the input fellas, they are farm mink escape/ illegally released by tree hungers and creating this environmental disaster may i add, We are not doing so good at trapping in fact shooting as been more productive but very time consuming any hunts on trap type how where when to sight said traps would be great, we want them off the ground period making any money off the furs would be a spin off and handy.

7. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

My opinion. Buy a video. Learning how to trap is hard. Without someone showing you how it is even harder. A video should help....

I like leg holds for mink, but you can catch them in runs with conibears as well. I like #1.5 coil springs for mink. I would guess since these are from former farm mink that they are larger so those traps should be good.

What I would do is try to find runs or trails that the mink are using right where they enter/leave the water. Stake the trap to deeper water. place the trap in the water firmly into the bottom. You may want to make your trap chains longer so they can reach deep enough water to drown. I am not sure but you may even need to make sets similar to what we use for beaver. Its really hard to know without seeing the area and your animal size and such.

I hope this helps.

8. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

It dose help and thank you, Any advice most welcome. I will photograph the areas to give you an idea of habitat and try and shoot a few to give you a size of animal to compare.

9. bad karma

bad karma Senior Refuge Member

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Thanks for the link.