Mis-sharpened tread

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by hunt4gees, Feb 13, 2013.

1. hunt4gees

hunt4gees Senior Refuge Member

I have an 07 f150. Just noticed throughout the whole tire that the tread is higher than other parts of the tread. Not pattern to it. Not much of a car person but always wanting to learn. Had a guy look at it and told me he thought it looked like a shock. Agree or any other thoughts? Thanks

2. hunt4gees

It is on the front drivers side by the way and is not making any unusual noises

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

That would be my guess bad shock if on the front of your truck

4. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

That is typical Ford twin I beam scissor front suspension wear. Not saying that it couldn't have a bad shock, but Fords are know for wearing front tires out really bad, they always have. F250 super duty trucks were even worse.

5. crushedcan

crushedcan Elite Refuge Member

I had a Ford E-250 with twin I beam that did that religiously. Have to really stay up on tire rotation.

6. hunt4gees

yea this is my first ford and have noticed my front tires wear more than back

7. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

I changed the shocks on my 2000 f150 to heavy duty shocks when I bought it. Never have had a problem with my tires.

8. madhatr02

madhatr02 Senior Refuge Member

but he said it was an 2007 F-150 that is an IFS truck not twin beam. I have owned fords for many years. Would not think it was a wheel bearing because you would have noticable noise. Brother replaced the strut on his 05 but again he had a noticable noise so I would lean towards shock.

With fords you definetly have to keep the tires rotated to prevent uneven wear as well. I have mine rotated and balanced every 3K. Paid for it when I bought my tires at discount tire so it is free. They said I could come as often as I wanted don't think they thought they would see me this often as I bet most people don't keep up with it.