Missouri Duck Parks - Perspectives

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by DagoDucks, Dec 8, 2018.

1. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

Since the Migration Thread seems to have been hijacked by the "complain about MDC" crowd we might as well start a thread just for that.
    All of this talk about these refuges being full of corn now and how this has changed bird patterns needs to be backed up by actual data. You say Fountain has more corn planted in their refuge then ever before? Which refuge was planted? How much corn did they put in? How does that compare to years past? Which refuge is Fountain running water through to keep it open? Have they done this in the past? What is the objective? Does that align with stated goals of the Flyway Council? I would agree that if it is being done solely to manipulate numbers to keep up "bird use days" that would not be an acceptable reason. If you inferring that it is being done for the benefit of Habitat Flats I would agree that is not acceptable either!
    We go up to Fountain once or twice a year for 2 or 3 days to hunt and have been for 25 years. As far as I remember they have always tried to get corn in the hunting pools if the weather allows for it. It seems to me that there is more quality managed habitat in the area around Fountain now then ever before which has the ducks spread out much more.

We also travel to Eagle Bluffs, Otter Slough and Duck Creek each year. Occasionally we will head to Ted Shanks, Ten Mile or Grand Pass. I enjoy the diversity of hunting as many different places as possible. I think it would be beneficial for us as hunters and Missouri residents to talk about what we feel MDC does right in this regard and what they may be able to do better. There are plenty of you guys that have local ties to these Conservation Areas and can give perspective to what has changed on these places over the long term for better or worse.
    My personal opinion on this years harvest and flight patterns has nothing to do with the amount of corn planted in a refuge somewhere as the ducks will always go to where the food is. I believe that we had a much smaller hatch due to the cold late spring than what the published numbers were. This combined with an early migration due to the cooler than normal temps up north moved a lot of birds into the area early and they have been here ever since getting educated and stale. A small # of young dumb ducks combined with a large # of older educated ducks makes for tough hunting.

2. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

Ten Mile Pond is not only managed by MDC, but also the local "mafia". Has for years.

They do things the way they want to. Where else do the flood every spot, yet only hunt a portion of them even though birds use the other units. Not only do they have 2 refuges on site, they use hunt units to control hunt pressure as well.

Look at the data, hunting what 11 spots now, but just wait another week or 2, that will go to 14,15,18...

There used to be a manager running the place that used the place as is own hunt club. Oh Rob, that unit wasn't in the draw this morning, but why did u get to hunt it??

3labman likes this.
  3. Mallet67

Mallet67 Senior Refuge Member

4. Mallet67

I dont care what they plant in the refuge at fountain grove. Yes they were running water through the refuge. The place was frozen solid in the blind pools. Why didn't it freeze in the refuge? You have been hunting it for 25 years. Had it gotten better or worse since you started hunting up there 25 years ago. I have been hunting it up there for over 40 years and the past 5 years the hunting for me and others I know it has gotten worse. I'm all for planting food. Millet, corn whatever but when you start manipulating the migration with water control that's wrong. Granted other states now have power plant lakes. I remember hunting the grove and swan lake years ago when there would be over 250k plus honkers up there. I remember when they had a quota zone up there and they hit the quota a few times and shut the season early. Fountain was killing 250 to 300 honkers a day. Now the geese dont come. Before long and its happening to an extent the ducks wont come. Where does it end. I appreciate what Missouri has for public waterfowl hunters but they do not manage it like they used too. We used to go to duck creek and roll the ducks. We even used to go down there and roll the geese they would even have 50 thousand plus honkers. Duck season would long be over back in the day by now when we had a 30 day 3 ducks limit. Too much pressure now on these birds in my opinion and then you have manipulation on top of it. I'm for going down to a 4 duck limit. It would take some of the pressure off if were going to have 60 days. People will shoot their 4 mallards and then sit out there waiting for their bonus ducks just so they can say they shot 6. 4 is plenty. Something has to give somewhere. With 6 and 60 it's all about the bucks and not about the ducks.

5. Mallet67

6. Mallet67

Duck creek was the same 30 years ago. The locals always got a good number and the good blinds. That's back when they rolled the blinds out in a bingo roller. At duck creek you couldn't see the blind that rolled out to you. Everyplace else the roller was in full site. I think it should go back to that. Number 1 didn't guarantee first pick for the best spot it just guaranteed you a hunt. The guy with a high number could have equal chance at the so called better blinds or spots. You took what you got and made of the best of it. We killed ducks out some of the so called bad spots a lot. But that is also back when you had to work for ducks with regular decoys and calling long before the electronic age we have now and the duck commander wanna be's

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I guess now according to some we're not supposed to comment or complain about something our tax dollars are paying for.
    Welcome to the New Millennium, pay more and get less for your money!!!!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. Mallet67

Amen 10gagenut!!!

9. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

You mean pay more, get less, and shut the hell up!

That's what they're telling us.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

:rolleyes: If you like, we have a good Conservation Department as a whole/ compared with other states. It's the people that are running it that seem to be the problem.