Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Missouri Snow Goose Guide Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by BANDMAN, Jan 25, 2018.

1. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, was just talking with a buddy about that the other day. Missouri is $40 and doubt a $40 fee would stop anyone from trekking to Arkie to hunt snows. It is likely the farmers and/or outfitters wI'll start leasing up all the best fields. Either way it won' stop people from taking advantage of the early part of the cobservation season.

Good luck

2. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

I'm sure most of you know this but the big difference in Arkansas and Missouri is typically in Missouri even if you are hunting a feed you still will get migrators trickling throughout the day if you hit it right. In Arkansas you are lucky if your morning hunt last more than a couple hours. Then you sit in a shot up feed field that afternoon and watch birds go to the feed fields that didn't get burned that morning. I highly doubt guide services in Arkansas are moving there hunters to a fresh feed field morning and evening. It all depends on what you want out of it. I've been to MO with HF 3 times and we probably averaged 40 birds per day but I enjoyed sitting all day and killing them as they trickled in from the stratosphere.

I've never done it in Arkansas but since my last trip to HF I realized I could have built a badass spread of my own with that money I started making connections in Arkansas and building my spread instead of booking a hunt. If we didn't buy 3 dozen deception crane decoys and 10 dozen canada and speck full bodies we'd have been ready to go to Arkansas this year to try em. We have 10 dozen avery 1 pieces and 15 dozen sillosocks so maybe in the next couple years we will be ready to go chase em. I'm one of those guys that isn't going to go half *** it. If I'm going I want to be prepared as possible. Hoping to get at least 10 dozen more 1 piece averys and 15 dozen more socks over the next couple years and then go try em.

3. hannibal

Johnpaul.................that is really good insight. I honestly did not know that. I was thinking it was similar that birds flowed through daily and the hunts were shooting lots of traveling birds. With that said sounds like they have some pretty good shoots on the hot fields but don't get the all day long trickle like we do. I enjoy being out all day and like the constant flow of birds throughout the day so maybe to each their own. I like your approach..............do it right. If you are going to spend the time and money to chase these crazy critters give yourself the best possible opportunity.

We continue to upgrade our spread (I prefer Avery FB's and floaters over all others as well) and it has grown to a pretty sizable flock over the years. We do have quite a few of the two piece FB Avery's which still work well but I REALLY like the new one piece Avery FB's and have been adding for a few years now.

Can't wait to get started. Taking a load down this weekend and may even start prepping the blind and laying out the master spread plan with stakes................we generally put out an outline of our spread so when we have the full crew down to setup it provides a little visual guidance :)

Good luck.

4. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

So theres no migrators that fly through AR ??
    What about birds that wintered in lower AR,South MS,LA,SE TX ?

5. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

Yes obviously there are migrators that come through Arkansas but not near as many NWMO. I live in SETX. We don't get many birds down here. SWLA doesn't get the geese like they used to. The only farmland in MS is between Vicksburg and Memphis right on the river. I don't think a snow goose that flies 60 miles is going to be very tired from migrating thus not very apt to bomb a spread. I could be wrong but I think the migrators the guys are killing up in NWMO are probably birds that flew straight from SEMO or NEAR for the most part and are very tired. I'm not an expert, just my 2 cents...

6. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

never saw where he specified what part of Mo. and no. those are just Mo. C/O numbers for spring 2017

7. hannibal

Sorry but that must be with a pond jump every 3rd day. I call BS on 88 day average unless there definition of average is different than mine. Would love to have a 3rd party autonomous camera follow them on every hunt, every day during season to prove that 88.

OK, will leave it alone now. Wishing everyone a successful Spring season. I hope the original poster gets in on a good one.

Good luck.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  8. cutiger

cutiger Refuge Member

I have hunted with Possum. I can believe what he is saying, if you knew where his spot is ,you might change your mind.

9. Pirogue

Nobody in MO is averaging 88 birds a day unless that is multiple spreads added together.Or they had one big day and quit !! Im calling ******** !!!

P

10. Pirogue

Cutiger.....Ive been born and raised in SEMO...been hunting WAY before anyone thought about snow geese here....I killed the first recorded snow goose on Otter Slough WMA after MDC bought it.....I know the area....live here. Nobody is averging 88 birds a spread over an extended period of time

ArmChair Biologist likes this.