Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Missouri Snow Goose Guide Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by BANDMAN, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

That's not quite true. Mornings are definitely best in Arkansas but you can still shoot plenty of birds in the evening. Besides that you can shoot plenty of migrators as well. As soon as it warms up and you get a south wind birds push, then you get a cold snap and birds reverse migrate. My friend set up a migrator spread in Arkansas last year and averaged 30 birds a day shooting 80% migrators. It's not the constant train of migrators like South Dakota but there's plenty of birds moving.

2. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

1 spread. last spring we averaged 88.5 birds per morning. our worst hunt was 56 birds. all decoying. call BS all you wan't, but you would be incorrect..

3. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

How many hunts ?

4. possumfoot

13. geese got gone quick last year.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Heck of an average. :tu we normally average right around 30-35/day for the season with usually no more than 3 shooters running all traffic.

6. possumfoot

our worst hunt we only had 5 guns. total. but our best hunt was only 6 guns. 2 did not even take a plug out. had one hunt with 15 people in the spread, but it was usually 8-12. 10 birds a man running traffic is pretty darn good too!!

7. possumfoot

care to guess what our average was this season?? lol. yesterday was our last hunt. i will say this. everything we shot was over decoys (only 1 spread) and we only had one day we killed less than 100. (killed 71 that morning.)

8. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

9. possumfoot

07Feb18 153 - Copy.jpg 08Feb18 250 - Copy.jpg 09feb18 71 - Copy.jpg 11Feb18 137 - Copy.jpg 12Feb18 138 - Copy.jpg

10. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

That is absolutely incredible! I accept what you are saying but what makes it so unbelievable (or astounding) is that regardless of the area you hunt, or the amount of snow geese around you, there are just a lot of days that the birds that fell into your decoys one day, won't sniff the decoys the next. No matter what you do! Most all guides know that over any four day window, you will get one good shoot, a couple so so shoots, and a poor shoot. They even tell their clients that the chance for a good shoot increases with a multi-day hunt package.

I speak for myself, but I am sure everyone is interested in hearing more. Do you think you do anything different that makes your decoying more successful? Do you attribute it to being on snows that are more relaxed being the start of the CO? Are these all decoying in close, or good shooters taking lots of long shots? Hevi-shot? Love to hear your take on why the high degree of success. What is the guide service called? Applause is in order regardless!