Mittry Lake

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by Yuma Outdoorsman, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Yuma Outdoorsman

Yuma Outdoorsman Senior Refuge Member

Fished Mittry lake in Yuma on monday evening. There was ducks all over the place. Seen teal, mallards, ring neck, and right at sun down, it looked like 3-4 flights of pintail that has 20-30 birds in each flock. Will probably end up down in Mexico before the season though :l:yes

2. Huntndogs

Huntndogs Senior Refuge Member

Lol, prolly right....seen any quail around there?

3. Yuma Outdoorsman

There were a lot of quail hatchlings running around all throughout the summer while cruising around out in dome valley. The most I personally have ever seen in this area. This was mainly along the gila gravity and gila river. Hopefully the desert experienced the same thing. I know people who have been out deer scouting already and said there has been standing water along highway 95 for quite some time so the desert got a good amount of water this summer. Should be good news for both deer and quail.

4. Huntndogs

Cool...I have never hunted Mittry, but it looks Duckie in some areas. I generally see a bunch of quail in the area, but have not been since last Jan.

5. Yuma Outdoorsman

Spent the last two days scouting for deer in the kofas. I easily seen 350-400 quail...today I saw 10 different coveys that had 15-20+ birds per covey.

6. Huntndogs

That'd good to hear...Tks

7. jrin99

jrin99 Senior Refuge Member

You must have been on the Southside towards yuma? Haven't seen much quail on the North side of the range.

Quail have been spotty this year.

8. Yuma Outdoorsman

I was in the northern portion on the pipeline road that runs east/west from crystal hill or Scott's well and runs towards Vicksburg. I did 2 walks over 2.5-3 miles up and down washes looking for deer or deer sign when I seen the quail. They weren't too close to the pipeline road.