Mixing Decoys?? School Me

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Grover85, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Grover85

Grover85 New Member

Howdy guys,

I hunt public fields primarily in Maryland, eastern and western shore. I am concerned my odd mix of goose decoys is flairing birds. I am hunting with a dozen shells, dozen full bodies, two dozen Mag Lite Real geese, and two dozen Real Geese Pro silos. We also augment with a dozen or two more Dakota full bodies when a friend joins. I also have a dozen tangle free Canada silo socks but I rarely use them as I think they look awful.

Would you have any concerns about different sizes/colorations of all these different decoys in the spread? If not, how would you arrange them? I thus far, have been keeping the two different silo styles by themselves but pepper in full bodies and shells through them. Should I be mixing everything up together? Would you bother using the Socks? I am considering pulling the trigger on 5 dozen Dive Bomb Sillouettes here soon, would this just further complicate things?

Anyway lend me your ears and wisdom please!

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

We run a mix off socks full bodies ad shells. Usually line the kill hole with the full bodies but when we run everything it's about 150plus decoys predominantly full bodies. Birds are darker and lighter in flocks I don't think it's a problem

3. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Most of your questions are answered in the starting a spread thread

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Without sounding harsh,first off make sure you are Hidden.
    This is no science here,if possible when scouting watch what the birds look like,feeders,resters,sentries,try to imitate what you see.
    Also make sure you are Hidden.
    I only mix fullbodies and silos when I am in an area with big numbers,otherwise I strictly use the full body.
    I am sure guys do real well with just silos but I have no success with a silo only spread.Just remember to keep it natural looking. I also think that if using different types of decoys,try and put the better ones in the kill hole. Good luck.

5. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

^^thats a lot of bad info mixed with a little bit of good.

spaightlabs likes this.
  6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

"I'd rather have a perfect hide than the 10 best callers in the world in my blind". Nothing, but nothing makes up for a crappy hide.

I've hunted over 30 dozen Dave Smiths with a bad hide and they didn't make up for the hide, and I've hunted a great hide with a Sanford and Son spread and smashed.

Last week the pit we were in was absolutely invisible. Spread was mixed junk (my spread, I'm ok saying that). We had 2500 lessers and snows do it all the way to the ground - most geese I've ever had do it up like that. We weren't where they wanted to be - they wanted winter wheat, but we were only 1 field over in picked corn and we were ninja invisible. 40 minute hunt.

What's in your fields you are hunting and what is your hide? Are you in layouts, do they put pits out, are you the ground in the spread?

goosenazi likes this.
  7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Use what you have.
    I like high quality decoys and use fewer. Some days quality matters, some days it doesnt.
    The hide is generally the key to killing geese.

I do things a bit different than many.
    I like more rester decoys, because they are easier to bag.
    I never try to match the hatch, it isnt even a consideration. If its snowing Ill use only silos, deep grass silos, deep snow sleeper shells mostly.
    Ive gotten lazy or smart sold most of my gear If I cant kills birds with less than 3 dozen decoys,.. I dont care.
    I would ditch the socks

spaightlabs and goosenazi like this.
  8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I personally prefer to put a rig out with one brand of decoy but have killed many geese over the years from a junk yard spread. we have a large assortment of decoys amassed over the years and try to have each pit and blind filled and supplement as we feel with additional decoys we pull around with trailers and atv's and kill geese with mixed spreads fairly often. when I say junk yard spread I mean a mixture of decoys. we used to throw out a massive rig at the end of each season and hunt it for several days. some friends had the mentality for late season to go small but we went the polor opposite direction. used to set several hundred full bodies on one side of pit and put several hundred tires and silos on the other side. the tire decoys and silos out pulled birds consistently. go figure.

Use what you have and ensure you have good hide no matter what it is, pit, blind, layout etc well camoed and limit how much calling you do. get the birds attention and if coming lesson your calling. if you are worried about having different color decoys, paint them all in the off season and flock them top have some consistently. Lots of information on easily painting goose decoys with spray paint painting tan from behind and then following up with brown from the front to get a feathered look.

by the way my friend purchased 5 dozen dive bombs to go along with 5 dozen real geese he has and I have been really impressed with them and the bag it came with. If you are hunting public primarily you can definitely carry more silo's in versus shells and full bodies.

best of luck to ya.