Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Mixing Snow and Canada Decoys

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by dawnchaser, Dec 31, 2016.

1. dawnchaser

dawnchaser New Member

Does anyone mix Snow and Canada goose decoys in the field?

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The small cackler canada geese will land with snows, but the lessers and greaters don't seem to get along with them too well. We generally keep them 100 yds or so apart. Normally sit with the Canada decoys and have the white geese upwind, so we can take the snows if they swing over us on the way to the white goose decoys. Works ok, but the shots are generally a little on the long side. I've never had good luck mixing them. Canada geese tend to flair off to the sides, but the whites will work the combo spread ok.

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

If you mean socks- don't do it. Canadas will act like they got shot at 75 yards out. Pick one or the other and do it right

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I've had some success putting out 2-3 dozen fullbody snows on the upwind side of the rig. It may help bring a small group or two of snows without messing up the canadas.

Scotty likes this.
  5. RedDog

RedDog Elite Refuge Member

I don't see a problem mixing them. I watched a pile of snows and canadas all mixed up today. But maybe with all the snow things are so tough they got to do what they need to in lean conditions just to get by