Minnesota Flyway Forum Sponsors

MN bear hunt

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by seiowa, Jan 27, 2019.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

anyone do ‘em?

Looking for experiences, anecdotes, advice etc. I wanna do one next year.

Any info on price, references, zones to target/avoid and the like would be great.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I started a good friend bear hunting in northern Mn. He started another fellows outfitting service by paying him to set out baits.
    5 year old bear story. T###### had trail cams on baits. knew which bait was getting hit by two huge bears. First day he got video of bear two trying to get up his stand. Killed the bear with a bow minutes later. Easily made Pope and Young.
    Next day he helped at camp, and didnt hunt. Day three set up to kill a bear #1 from a ground blind. T#### is reading a book and filming. Bear #1 bumps the blind as it walks by, video captures T#### adjusting the camera with the bears head less than 20 inches from T#### face. Bear turns its head into the blind,.. T### moves out of the bears way. Bear works the bait. after 45 minutes and almost no battery left T### kills a Band C with his pistol at 30 yards

seiowa likes this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive been feeding 2 bears for years. Some punks had been messing near my bait the past two years. This year they killed both bears at the bait,.. Dirtbags even stole my chair.

Had a big bear hitting the bait this fall. A hound hunter knew I had bait in the area. Had a "friend" tag the bear.

Over 2000 lbs of bait and the bears were killed by others at my bait. not illegal but unethical

They killed these two this year, Pics of the first year on the bait PICT0891.JPG MFDC3675.JPG

Attached Files:

seiowa likes this.
  4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Unless you have points you’ll probably have to hunt no quota zone. I’m on the Minnesota Manitoba border and about 30 miles from the no quota zone. We’ve taken a lot of bears over the years.

Be glad to help you out.

seiowa likes this.
  5. musher

We started hunting from ground blinds about 10 years ago. Makes it more enjoyable. This was my wife bear.

Attached Files:

seiowa likes this.
  6. musher

FA199CB9-F256-40CB-958B-B88ABFB26832.jpeg 63D33D47-29C3-45CA-B22E-7D2144985ECE.jpeg We had a sow and 2 cubs on this bait

seiowa likes this.
  7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

8. musher

Did you find a place to hunt?

I responded to your PM. Not sure if you got it or not.

Deadline to apply for a quota tag is May 1st.