Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Mobile Area Dove Clubs

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by muddydekes, Aug 8, 2007.

1. muddydekes

muddydekes Senior Refuge Member

Any of the local guys know of a dove club with Memberships?

The kids are old enough now that I want to bring them to wing shooting the way I was.....

2. kwak&eider

kwak&eider Senior Refuge Member

David McKiethen probably has the best club in south Alabama, lots of fields done right. You could give him a shot but I worry that his memberships are full this late in the season. Keep an eye on the classifieds should be folks advertising shoots in the next few weeks.

I think my fields are doomed, we're holding a pile of birds already which means they'll get bored with us and go visit someone else by opener.

3. Quack Attack

Quack Attack Elite Refuge Member

Dove Clubs?

With the record influx of people, I suppose we're getting close to something like that around here.

4. T Lee

T Lee Senior Refuge Member

yea im looking for a place to wack some doves too

5. muddydekes

muddydekes Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Kwak,

I have heard McKeithan has nice fields. I will try and locate him. I think I will check that out. T if I find anything I ll let you know.

6. dixielabs

dixielabs Elite Refuge Member

If anyone hear of any hunts around the Montgomery area let me know, the dog could use some work if she can handle the heat...

7. Sun Drop

Sun Drop Banned

Boy, you boys will join a "club" for anything. A Dove club? Really?

8. kwak&eider

kwak&eider Senior Refuge Member

South Alabama is limited on ag land, the fact that we have a large human population and limited areas to shoot ='s pay to play. Not every dove hunter down here joins a dub club but those that want to shoot many times during the 70 day season and don't already have land access, use these clubs to stay on good shoots. Dove clubs are essentially consortiums that lease up good fields all around south Mobile and Baldwin to be able to rotate shoots and have spots to go to when the birds shift to a new crop or area. If I didn't have access to the family farm I'd seriously consider joining a club. Of course in a perfect world farmers wouldn't try to make additional money off their land and would welcome hunters to help defend their peanut, sunflower and millet fields from throngs of marauding mourning doves. In that same perfect world I could turn out my pointer, grab my shotgun and hunt in any direction the dog's nose carried me.

Of course Sundrop, a guy like you who spends all day on ag land greasing the wheels of access is above anything like paying to shoot birds.;)

9. T Lee

T Lee Senior Refuge Member

im not exactly looking to join a club just get in on a few good dove shoots this year, if i have to pay then i will pay! I got to go on 2 of the best dove shoots ive ever been on last year, my uncle works with some guys that they all went in and leased 2 fields last year dont know if they did it this year so just looking right now.
    and yea sundrop, very little areas to dove hunt down here unless you want to pay!

10. Sun Drop

Sun Drop Banned

Point in fact, I don't "grease" any wheels. I make it a stern point not to bother my growers about hunting on their land.I have my own places to hunt. Hell, I hunt public 50-60% of the time. If I'm invited, asked, so be it. Most growers don't want anyone on their places, money or not, because most of you come out, leave **** all over the place, and incessantly bug the hell out of them every time you see them somewhere. I have a grower that would love to go to a DU banquet, but he can't because everyone bugs him about a permit. I know folks who don't hunt, but won't let anyone on their place because of all the past screw ups. I can't say I blame em'. The hunting public- or the new hunting public- has a bad rep. It's you goobers who made it that way. You think because you lease something, it's yours. A dove club-ha!

By the way, I can count on my right hand how many times I've been dove hunting in the last 4 years.
    I duck hunt.