'Mobile' or 'Sit n Wait'?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by HunterRed, Mar 18, 2016.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

No right or wrong way. When hunting alone, I generally won't sit more than thirty minutes in one spot, and that's even when I can see/hear a bird. If I haven't broken him by then, I'm going to find a spot where he'll come. Just the way I prefer to hunt. Obviously that means bumping a lot of quiet birds, but I simply don't enjoy hunting those birds. I'd rather move until I find a hot bird. That said, you'll probably kill more birds by finding a good spot and sitting all day. And, that's especially true if you have a limited amount of ground on which to hunt.

I haven't carried a box call in years, but there's no denying they're killer. Whatever call/s you have confidence in is what you should carry and use. I rarely use decoys (been several years since I shot a bird over a decoy) unless I'm taking someone else. Decoys are effective, but I just prefer figuring out how to make the bird come to the call.

Please understand I'm not at all anti-decoy, but they can become a crutch. Hunt for a couple of years without a decoy, and you'll end up a better hunter. But, as long as an individual is content with his hunting that's all that really matters.

I've used a 20 gauge for several years now. Killer to 40 yards, and the pattern is still good at fifty. Looking back, I've only shot a couple of birds beyond 40, so a light youth model 20 makes an ideal gun for the way I hunt. Doesn't make it right for everyone.

2. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

Stalking them from behind a fan was the way that Native Americans hunted turkeys long before Europeans came to the Americas and raped and pillaged the land for all it was worth and nearly hunted wild turkeys to extinction.

3. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Ok,I will give you that.
    If you will agree that most turkey hunters these days aren't Full Bloodied Native American's that have to hunt and gather food from the wilderness for daily survival or face starvation.
    As far as The Europeans that Raped and Pillaged the Land Etc. that has no bearing on this discussion or the condition of modern day turkey populations.

Have a nice day………..Greg

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Not to mention no one hunts turkey the way the original white settlers did it anymore. Or if they do, they should be shot, themselves. Doesn't take a hunter to walk up to a tree and shoot turkey out of it. It takes any idiot with a gun. I don't know how I feel about the use of a fan that has been the latest craze. Never done it, but it would be nice to sneak up on a turkey like that once, and get the "full effect". It's legal here, so it's a tactic to keep in the back of my mind, but I doubt I'll ever use it. I really enjoy locating and calling in a turkey. Something about offsetting the natural process makes it appealing.

5. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

I like calling them in to decoys too. It's a pretty awesome rush to watch them beat up on a jake decoy 5 or 10 yards from you, but having a bird kick a decoy out of my hands, and then stand there looking at me in confusion as I tried to unsling my gun gun was 1 of the most thrilling experiences I've ever had while turkey hunting. I know it was definitely the closest I have ever been to a turkey.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. bill cooksey

Trick with a fan alone is to turn its back to the bird. Works much better. Haven't done it in a long time, but have to admit it is quite a rush.

7. stevena198301

Been that close to a hen (coulda grabbed her by the neck), but not a tom.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Killed one a few years ago... I was sitting against a big tree, with a gulley to my side... I was calling at a bird in front, but another bird came in hot, crossing the gully and walking right behind the tree I was sitting against.

As the bird got behind the tree, I flipped around (so I was facing the tree) with my gun at the ready for when he walked out...

The bird came out from behind the tree right UNDER my gun barrel... I could bonk him on the head, but I could not shoot him, cause he was under my barrel...

I had on these horrible netting gloves, and in trying to get the safety off, my glove caught on the trigger, and I accidently engaged the trigger...

I must have rang his bell, cause he staggered out about 10 yards and I took his head off with the next shot. As he was standing under my gun barrel, I could hear his feathers rustling, and was sure he could hear my heart beating and my breathing...

marsh-mello and stevena198301 like this.
  9. bill cooksey

That's a great story.

10. stevena198301

Cool stuff!

My FIL was telling me the other day about his first turkey, and it went somewhat like that. Only thing was, he didn't know the tom had snuck up to the tree behind him, and it gobbled. He said it was the closest he has ever came to crapping his pants. He ended up spooking it, but shot it before it could get away.