'Mobile' or 'Sit n Wait'?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by HunterRed, Mar 18, 2016.

1. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

There is some great advice on this thread. Patience has helped me kill more turkeys than anything else. I often hunt from the same spot all morning or till I fill my tag. I bump to many birds moving. If I get a bird to gobble to my calling first thing in the morning, I will stay there till the end of legal shooting time (1 pm) if I have to. Take a nap, call every 15-30 minutes and it seems like those birds that gobbled for me at first light will come back later in the morning once the hens leave them. When I get them to gobble later in the morning I will almost always kill that bird. I do not use decoys. I like to have the birds come looking for the hen they hear but can't see.

marsh-mello likes this.
  2. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

Whether to run and gun or sit in one spot depends on how much ground you have and how many turkeys are around. When I lived in NE Mo in the nineties, i had tons of private ground and tons of turkeys. All I did was run and gun trying to find a hot turkey. If i bumped a couple it didnt matter. Now where I live in Iowa i dont have near as much ground and in Mo the turkey population is a fraction of what it was. I have changed tactics and sit alot longer than i used to. I hate "deer hunting" turkeys, but you have to adapt.

As for reaping turkeys, ive done it, its a rush, but its killing not hunting. Zero skill involved. I'd put sitting over a jake or strutter right there with reaping. That said, when the turkeys hand you your butt for a while, its somewhat satisfying to get even.

bill cooksey and iawaterfowler like this.
  3. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

That's mainly when we do it. It's an 11th hour on the last day of season trick. After getting up at 0 dark thirty for the past 4 days in a row to get outsmarted by a bird with a brain the size of a peanut, I just want to exact a little revenge.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

It works. For me, it's about the least amount of fun you can have while turkey hunting, but it is a great way to fill a tag.