Molasses block for duck?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by TungstonBB, Jul 10, 2009.

1. H2O_Tech

H2O_Tech Senior Refuge Member

No need to buy it. Just find some mole holes. Get down on your knees, uncover the holes and shine a light down the hole. YOu'll get all the mole asses you need.

sorry...probably my dad's most favorite joke.

2. tm

tm Senior Refuge Member

Do you need the block? Saw a 2.5 gallon container at Rural King for $16.50 and down the road at the feed store 5 gallons for $16.00. Guy at the feedstore asked why I was asking. He said it would be cheaper to buy the molasses and a couple bags of molasses soaked deer corn than buying a molasses block.

3. Underradar

Underradar Banned

It didn't work for us. We sweetened a small rice field with it one time. After the the blocks melted, it sweetened the water so much the geese drank the field dry. So no ducks came.

4. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

Sounds better to bait catfish with than ducks,why bother with the molasses just throw the corn in and be done with it :dv

5. Happy First Timer

Happy First Timer Elite Refuge Member

I heard about an old guy years ago that would put several gallons (probably more like 20 or 30) in a shallow pond. He would get the water really thick with it. He said you could smell it a mile away. Anyhow he said at night the ducks would come in to feed and when they landed and got the molasses and water mix on there feather it made it where they could not fly. Similar to the birds after the Exon Valdez spill. He said he would walk around the pond and chase down the birds that could not fly away. He said he would leave some of the one out in the middle in there to attract more for the next day.

He did say they were the best roasting ducks he had ever eaten. He said they had a really sweet taste if they had been stuck in the pond more than a day or two. It might be worth a try if you could get 5 or 6 guys to go in on the cost of the molasses.:tu

6. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

I think they made that illegal recently, like 1972 or so.

7. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

What's the proper ration of gallons/acre feet? I would expect deeper pools to require more, or is it all a matter of surface area?

8. roxie

roxie Moderator Moderator

I might just pour the molasses right on top of my huntin' hat. :tu

[​IMG]