MOLT GEAR GOOSE CALL OPINIONS

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Jun 28, 2017.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Just another thought. I have noticed that some of the MG calls that I received have a 1/4" or more of the wedge exposed. This has never worked for me and I had a tough time tuning a MG like this. I have taken the wedge and sanded the flat part so that the wedge sits further into the insert. This really helps unless you have a thin shaved reed. Go slow with the sanding...a little goes a long way. Gettin' thirsty, think I'll have a cold one. Murph.

2. SB

SB Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Murph, that helps alot.

3. don835

Glad to be of help.

4. don835

One thing about Molt Gear is that their calls are pure Goose, easy to drive. I have noticed that with wood inserts the exhaust end is thicker than the Acrylic calls. It's that thin edge on the Insert that gives you the "pop' that Geese like. I notice Grounds wood inserts have the thin edge and sound Great but can be easily chipped/cracked if not taken care of. That's one of the reasons Tim offers Inserts as call parts.
    Because of the thick edge on MG inserts I tune the wood calls different than the Acrylics to get that crack on the top end. Yeah, the wood calls are inherently deeper but can still be tuned to achieve the "crack" on top. Drove a lot of calls in my day...MG by far has the easiest BIG's to tune and run, at least for me. Just throw'n it out there, Murph.

5. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. At least with the current generation. The OG guts from the EX3 were near the top of worst I've ever tried to tune. Just too damn finicky. Perhaps also the reason they did away with them.
    To add to what Don said, the unaltered Molts I have bought have all come with quite a bit of wedge exposed. I do however tend to leave the wood calls tuned close to stock in terms of tone....they make an excellent complimentary call to an acrylic version of the same call.

6. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

Murph and jrode237, what are your guys thoughts on zink goose calls? when I first started I was told they were the best, so instead of shopping around I just went out and bought them. I have the nos and the moneymaker. Im not a big fan of the NOS. the moneymaker is easy to get that crack and has a pretty high pitch. I don't hate them but after looking around and listening to different calls I like the sound of the molts. do you guys think molt is better than the zinks ?

7. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

Zink money maker is an outstanding goose call. Both field and stage if you can handle the bell. I don't care for the NOS.

Zink is not better than Molt gear or vice versa. Zink, Grounds, Molt gear ect have enough calls on market that you can find something for you in thier line up.

If I were you I would pick up a fast higher pitched call like a saunders traffic or grounds Overhauler. Probably a MG rush would fit that bill as well.

As far as tuning, different folks for different folks. I tend to like calls that take a little more air to run .... Probably why grounds are some of my favorite and I think Zink calls are touchy....

8. BADLARRY250

how do you go about tuning them? Is it just moving the reed forward or backward? im to scared to mess with it and put it all out of whack lol

9. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

^there's a great tutorial stickied at the tip of this forum. You will not find better information then what Wade put together in that thread. As for Zink calls, not a huge fan. So IMO, I would say MG is better....for me.

10. BADLARRY250

thanks jrode. where in Wisconsin are you from if you don't mine me asking?