Monowi

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Littlesturgeon, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Littlesturgeon

Littlesturgeon New Member

i am a property care taker for a family in wisconsin, I have made countless trips out to the dakotas/Canada and hunt 40 of the 60 day season here in Wisconsin . I usually hunt dry fields.

The reason I am posting in this forum is the family I work for bought some property near monowi Nebraska, 1200acres. I just recently took the owners son out mallard hunting here in Wisconsin and he is hooked. I told him what I have heard about Nebraska and he told me to do some digging.

I know Niobrara area can be pretty good. Mainly looking for timing and what style of hunting (dry fields, river bottoms)? Please send me a PM. The monowi area good?

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

2 posts and you are asking for Pms from guys to give you hunting spots/tips? A+ for internet scouting effort.

Bold move, Cotton.

3. Littlesturgeon

Littlesturgeon New Member

Sorry if it offended you, but I tried to convey that i was looking for general information. I actually have been using this site for many year, obviously people are not as friendly and are quick to judge.

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Didn't offend me at all - just an observation, nothing more.

You may have been 'using' the site, but have have you been contributing to the site at all? Not saying you gotta saunter in and buy everyone a drink or anything, but if you've lurked for years you haven't really been part of the community or participated in the give an take/back and forth. Maybe you were in before under another user name and had to sign up again a couple months ago - not important really.

I think it is great that you've found a gig that let's you hunt 40 days of the 60 day season and all over the continent. You probably bust your azz 300 days a year to earn your trips. From a tone perspective though, look back and think how your post reads?

To paraphrase:

Hi y'all. I got a killer gig working for some rich folks. Been around the galaxy chasing birds. Rich folks bought a bunch of property out in your area. You can't hunt there, but help me out, will ya?

I'm probably way off base, and I'm only an occasional Nebraska interloper and then only in the panhandle so my opinion and observations ain't worth what ya payed for 'em.

What part of Sconnie you in?

5. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Haven’t been that far up river from the delta, but I pretty sure it’s all private and hunted regularly. The public ground on Lewis and Clark is no secret. Boat blinds are as common there as walleye boats are around Pierre in the summer time. The lake/river aren’t a sack of decoys over your shoulder and a robo type hunting. You need a lot of equipment, boats/decoys etc. Most corn field hunting is done on the SD side as that’s where most of the corn is. The Nebraska side has lots of hills and timber, great deer ground.

6. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

Missouri River up by Monowi has fewer sandbars and less floodplain on NE side than further downstream. Depends on river levels too tho. There is a public boat launch at sunshine bottoms on MO river but you better know the river to run it. Also there is Ponca creek that runs south of town of Monowi and there are little watershed dams in the area but I don’t know if the creek or ponds get much waterfowl use or any crop fields around there. I’d be willing to bet Ponca Creek has some mallard roost use later in the year but scouting would be required.