Montana Birds

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by nemont, Oct 8, 2012.

1. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

Been a fun opening weekend for ditch parrots. Found a few other birds as well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nemont

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Pheasants, Huns, and Grouse, oh my!

Looks like my idea of a good time.:tu

I hear those huns hold a lot better than our chuckar... I would enjoy making the trip to your state to hunt some of your upland, with huns and grouse topping the list... Of course I would not pass on the pheasants though...

What varieties of upland does your neck of the woods offer, and what are the bag limits?

3. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

I'm not sure about Pheasants (I think it's 3). 8 huns & 4 Sharptails a day. Possession is 3 X the daily limit.

Huns generally hold worse than quail, but better than chukkar. Early in the season you can have fun with a pointing dog, after they have been hunted, the huns can be a bit more spooky. Sharptails smell really bad if you keep them in your game bag for more than a few hours.

I hunted the first week of the MT season.. it was warm, but there was a really good crop of Huns and a nice number of sharp tails. We hunted near Valier and around Jasper MT on the High Line.

4. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

Pheasants 3 (3 times daily possession)
    sharp-tailed grouse 4 (4 times daily possession)
    sage grouse 2 (2 times daily possession)
    huns/chucker 8 aggregate (4 times daily possession)
    mountain grouse 3 aggregate (4 times daily possession).

5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Nice huntin Nemont!

Doug

6. Squaller

Dang! But that would be a fun day of hunting.:D Forget the Dakotas, I am goin' to Montana!

How many areas offer multiple species of birds? How tough is the access to these areas?

Actually if I ever went, I would go through an outfitter or someone who knows the areas... But it is still fun in inquire.

7. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Marc you'd have more fun freelancing and hunting on your own with your own little group and maybe getting a bit of help from some fellow refuge folk. I think I'm heading out that way next year myself if you want to hook up and hunt with some ugly dogs! :)

Doug

8. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

Ditto, almost everything I shoot is on public land and just hunting by eye. I have more fun looking for the birds and seeing new land. my wife and I got 4 grouse species last weekend all on public land, in areas we have never been before. Theres enough land to hunt you dont need a guide. My $0.02

9. montana bound

montana bound Senior Refuge Member

I agree . Lots of public land . This is my second season living and hunting here and I still have not run into another hunter in the field.

10. Squaller

Doug,

Time is my enemy...

If I do get a chance to go, likely it would be for 4 days (2 days of travel and 2 days of hunting)... All I would want from an outfitter (not necessarily a guide) is that I get access to an area that has birds, or that I am pointed to areas that do have birds...

I simply do not have the time to travel, scout, and hunt... And granted, hunting isn't always about success, but if I travel that far, and spend that kind of money, I want a darned good chance at success.

Currently, I have a very good friend that is a fly-fishing guide in Montana. He has almost no interest in bird hunting though... I have been over to visit and fish with him, and I spent most of my time with him catching fish... We fished from dark to dark every day I was there, and we caught a lot of fish... He knew where to go, and when to go there... Plus, I bunked for free (the food was on me though).:D

A similar situation for bird hunting would be very, very appealing to me.:yes

In all honesty, I have had a lot of success with fishing guides... Primarily what their job is, is to put us on fish and the rest is up to us (i.e. guide us to the fish). I have had very little success with hunting guides though, and outside of Canada (where the guides dropped my father and I off in a field birds were using and left us alone), I have had only one other successful guided bird hunting trip, and I have had my share of them...:rolleyes:

Montana, Mexico, and Hawaii are all on my bucket-list for upland hunting.