Montana bucks

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

About a week ago I had a guy from Watertown drive into my yard by the name of Steve Koistenin asking me about swans and a slough I hunt. I told him I had just purchased 2 swan tags and they were being mailed to me. He said OK, and started to go, but I told him if he wanted we could both hunt the swans as soon as the tags came. He said that would be great, we got each other's information and he took off. The day the tags came my farmer friend who owns one part of the slough said he had a couple friends that we're going to hunt it either Friday or Saturday and could I hold off until they came. No problem, so I figured I'd just leave the entire thing alone until after they were done and hope the swans stayed. As it turns out they didn't hunt either day, so I called Steve and told him we could try for the swans either Monday or Tuesday if he wanted. He said he couldn't do that because he was leaving to hunt deer in Montana and would be gone until the following weekend. I told him to let me know when he got back and we'd give it a go.

Sunday when the wife and I were at church, who was sitting across the aisle from us?...yep, Steve. After church we got to talking and I told him I had a Montana deer tag as well, but my hunt plans didn't work out so I would be pinning my tag to the wall. Monday morning I got a call from Steve and he said he and his brother were leaving for the hunt in the morning and would I like to join them? Whoa, didn't see that coming. I said I'd love to, started to pack and reserved a room at the hotel they were staying at. They picked me up Tuesday morning and away we went to hunt where none of us had ever been.

Long story short, Steve filled his tag on Wednesday afternoon, and I filled mine this morning. Chet didn't find anything worth shooting. Neither of the deer were wall hangers, but they were both decent bucks. I had not hunted deer at all for 15 years, so this opportunity was great, especially when I figured I was going to have to burn an expensive tag. What really made it special was I killed my buck with the rifle my dad gave me when I was a kid, and dressed the deer with his hunting knife that my mom gave me after he died. This hunt would not have been possible without the selfless act of kindness from a stranger. What a blessing.

Steve's Buck, and then mine:

Steve's Buck.jpg My First Montana Deer.jpg

2. qac

qac Refuge Member

In my opinion, both trophies for sure. No they are not the biggest but that really does not matter. It's really all about "how" you ended up with them that makes them trophies. Congrats on a great hunt and the making of a new friend. Thanks for sharing.

Qac

3. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Don’t sell yourself short, that is in a trophy in more ways the 1
    Congrats

4. Mean Gene

I'm completely happy with mine, for sure. Felt like dad was there with me. :tu:tu

WoodieSC and bullpinnie like this.
  5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Those are great deer. Never eaten mule deer but if they are anything like white tails you have some good eats.

Now don’t forget to post lots of swan pictures and tell us how they taste.

6. Dale

Dale Senior Refuge Member

Great story. Those unplanned events in life often turn out to be great ones.

7. Mean Gene

Drove around today and the swans are gone. Bummer.

8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Don’t leave fish to find fish.

9. Mean Gene

I left swans to find bucks. No regrets in that regard. Had only one chance to make that happen and it worked out. Maybe I'll find a swan, maybe not. No big deal either way. :tu:tu

widgeon and H20DAD like this.
  10. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Refuge Member

Great story. Nice bucks and a Savage 99 to boot.