Montana summer fall place?

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by brightlights, Jan 26, 2018.

1. brightlights

brightlights Senior Refuge Member

Gentleman. I will be retiring in the next few years and want to find a second home that we can use for summer and fall. My interests are waterfowl and wing shooting as well as some fishing. I have had some exposure to North Dakota, but would like to look further west as well. I have never been to Montana and would like some input as to where to start looking. I would like to find something rural but close to amenities and within a couple hours of a regional airport.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have never lived in MT but I have extensively traveled the state for almost 18 years for business. My daughter lives in Billings. These areas would be on my short list if I was in your situation:

The Paradise Valley between Livingston and Gardiner, MT. A beautiful valley, 30 minute drive to the south entrance of Yellowstone Park, visit Chico Hot Springs. Stream fishing. Not sure about waterfowl hunting but I love it here. Fly into Bozeman Airport. Visit Bozeman to get your big city fix.

Red Lodge, MT area. You are at the start of the Beartooth Highway, which is arguably the prettiest high altitude highway in the US. Takes you through breathtaking mountains in Southern Wyoming on your way to Cooke City and the east side of Jellystone. Get your city fix in Cody WY or Billings. Fly into Billings.

Bigfork MT or Kalispell /Columbia Falls area. Fly into Kalispell. Lots of waterfowl in the area. Flathead Lake. Glacer National Park within 45-60 minute drive. Very pretty part of Western Montana with snow-capped mountains all around. Kalispell airport.

Bitterroot Valley between Missoula and Darby, MT. Fly into Missoula.

Lewistown, in central MT. Fly into Great Falls or Billings.

Helena, the State Capitol. Nice sized town with all of the amenities you want and you can find a place on the outskirts if you want to be in the country. Be fishing the Missouri River within a 1 hour drive.

Ennis, MT area. A good base for fly fishing and Bozeman is close enough for your city fix and airport requirements.

brightlights likes this.
  3. brightlights

brightlights Senior Refuge Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to impart your knowledge. Very comprehensive. Great. I really appreciate it. God Bless.

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

If you come to Ennis in July or August look me up at the RV park. I'll be fishing every day during that time.

5. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

FYI Kalispell/Big Fork/Columbia Falls gets lots of snow from lake effect from Flathead. Inversions with fog as well. Depending on what you are looking for Mission Valley is nice.Hamilton area as well. Both withing 1/2 hour to an hour to Missoula. North valley near Polson about the same to Kalispell airport.West of the Continental divide gets windy and cccccccold.
    Probably 15 to 20 dog training ( mostly private) areas in the valley.