Moose apps

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by gettin'ducky, May 29, 2003.

1. gettin'ducky

gettin'ducky Senior Refuge Member

Can anybody tell me when the moose apps are available. Unit 2. Thanks for the help.

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Not sure. I do know that the drawings are due May 31. You can go online at www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license to appy for drawings. You may find the permit you are looking for there.
    Actually, I just checked the paper supplement and did not see any permits for unit 2. You may want to give fish and game a call.

3. gettin'ducky

Bigreid, Thank you for the response and the website attachment. Im actually gaining info for my buddy who is going to Alaska for a moose hunt. The zone is actually Unit 23. He is taking a float from Kotzebue heading East. Talk about a guy being excited, hes so fired up. Ive been to AK twice and have told him of my experiences, but I was just a child at the time, so recollection is not my best trait. Any help you could offer would be nice. Thanks again, Steve

4. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Dont need a "permit" for that area. The area is open to general tags that can be bought over the counter or online on the website posted in the previous post. I did a float hunt a few years ago in that area. Floated the Noatak before it became a wild and scenic river corridor. Great country, LOTS of caribou, and a fair number of moose. I call caribou hunting in that country "shopping". Not too much hunting involved. Although the catch is, being there when they are there.

5. gettin'ducky

dallen, Thanks for the reply. Mikes going on his moose hunt and going to come back with info on their caribou herd for me. It sounds like an awesome experience. Thank you for the input of this area, its appreciated very much. I would like to plan a caribou hunt up there in the future. Thank you, Steve

6. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

If I were planning my first hunt up here, I'd pick caribou. Chances are better at getting a good one, and its probably a lot cheaper all around than moose. Moose are big animals and need lots of space to grow enough food. Densities of 1 to 2 per mile are good for moose. Caribou in September out of Iliamna or Bethel are your best bets. I can recommend air outfits that I am familiar with and have had good experiences with when you make plans.