Moose in Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Kimmie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Anyone hunted moose in Newfoundland? We've booked for this Fall 1st week in October...

:)

2. cjhack

cjhack Refuge Member

A few of my friends have, and they all tagged out. You won't be. Getting a Yukon moose but there will be 250+ lbs of meat. I'm in the process of finding a guide. Who'd you go with.

3. Kimmie

Ironbound Outfitters http://newfoundlandmoose.com
    Mark seems like a great guy from the conversations we've had via 'chat' & phone. We're going to remote hunt away from the main camp. I liked the idea of just us going out instead of going out with more hunters into the same area. I'm going for the best moose I can find as well as is my fianc?. From what I understand, we're walking a ridge line and glassing about 8 miles to another camp. He feels confident that we will see a shooter walking in. I liked not having to pack the meat out as they're going to fly out in a helicopter and pick up the moose and then us when/if we tag out. Packing out is what's keeping us from DIY moose in AK. He has two nice moose from AK, and BC so he will be discriminatory in what we shoot... My heart will be jumping out of my chest so I will be glad to have some guidance lol... Mark, at Ironbound, was also nice enough to agree to roll our hunt over to 2016 if we draw on the of the 30some tags out west we've put in for. He did tell us that he had 58 of 60 to kill a moose and the other two had opportunities but didn't shoot... He also offers a tag for 2 Black Bear for additional $$$. I've never killed one so I'm getting that tag as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

On my bucket list - update this thread please as you get closer, and when you hunt.

I would really like to hear the details.

5. JMM

JMM Elite Refuge Member

Been there few years back. Be prepared to walk a lot. The island is a real pretty place to visit. If you drive be sure to rent a cabin for the boat ride over and back in the evenings. You can sleep through the trip. Something else to check is how well acquainted the guide is with caping and prepping the animal once it's down. Our guides did not do a very good job at all and it seems most stuff I get from there to mount is cut up and not turned very well.
    You check out the chance for a woodland caribou tag? Should be plenty of wild blueberries to forage along the way too.:tu

6. Kimmie

I'm walking myself to death right now to get ready! When it warms up and stops raining I'm going to hit the parkway and walk some trails that are more challenging. Checked on Caribou and they're pretty pricey! We might do a DIY with a cousin elsewhere. Gary has caped a ton of animals from about 6 moose, 5 elk all the wild sheep +2 in his Grand Slam and a half dozen caribou... He told the guy he'd cape and debone the meat himself. We're driving up and carrying coolers as well as a freezer/generator. If we both get nice bulls and I luck out on a bear (or 2 :sp ) we're going to have a load... I'm looking for a good deal on some 18" Lacrosse boots now. Mine aren't going to cut all that walking.
    Then again, he put me in for some good yet 'realistic' tags out west so we might not even get to go this year... For once, I'm in hopes we just get bonus points and get to do the moose hunt!

7. Kimmie

Coot,

I sure will. The only tag I'm concerned about that will knock me out of going is an early muzzleloader tag for Elk... I have a few points and that one could pan out. I'm not going to complain if it does (not too much anyway!)...

8. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Elite Refuge Member

Kimmie,

That sounds like an awesome trip! Chase some of those mountain gobblers as an addition to your walking routine!!!

Kimmie likes this.
  9. Kimmie

You know it! I'm ready to get after 'em!

10. JMM

JMM Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you are well on your way to being prepared. Nothing like walking on the soggy tundra, just never step in what look like puddles as they might not have a bottom. Friend walked through some and ended up with one leg up to his crotch and had a hard time getting out. Guide was ahead of him on a swamp buggy and didn't even see him go in.