Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

More birds arriving soon

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Avian Thunder II, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

GB, Spag, and all:
    Based on that migration chronology data we have been discussing recently, I'd spect new birds in good numbers will arrive in northern and central Il by noon Sunday with an almost absolute guarantee of a good push by the weekend after T-day. While we could be off as much as 36-48 hours, watch the harvest pick up by the middle of next week. Should be a good opening WEEK for the Southern Zone; however, some will probably say it is still TOO early.

2. Wade Walling

Wade Walling Elite Refuge Member

greaaaaat....noon sunday.......right at quitin time...

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

OK, A-Thunder....I'm countin' on ya on this one! HEH! HEH! HEH!

(Actually, I think you're right on it.....my "Duck Rheumatism" is achin' something fierce!)

I do know that the Barton Field Refuge at the South end of Rice Lake is packed with Mallards right now.

4. Jay

Jay Elite Refuge Member

he must have his crystal ball running on nitro

there is no weather to push birds! end of November and we have 60's and Tstorms!!!!:mad:

5. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

There has been a forecast of a storm to hit the Dakota's this weekend and has been discussed at our ND forum: Storm to hit Dakota's

Its been downgraded but it will hopefully move some birds out of SD.

6. Spag

Spag Senior Refuge Member

AT2,

Man, I hope you're wrong. there's not room for any more at Horseshoe Lake. :l I'm gonna take you at your word, isnce I have no reason/data to deny your assertion. on your reccomendation, I'm going deer hunting this weekend and wait 'til Thanksgiving to duck hunt. Please don't disappoint me!!! :)

7. browningman01

browningman01 Refuge Member

going to hunt around cairo sunday how is it looking in the area around the lake? how mutch rain did yall get monday and tuesday? was up there last week and things looked fair for ducks, looks like the operner is just abou right for us.

8. Spag

Spag Senior Refuge Member

The Cairo area got just a fraction of the rain we got here in the St. Lois area. The Cape Girardeau gauge shows 1.21" and the Cairo had 1.04". The ground was pretty dry so it shouldn't scatter the ducks out too bad. The rivers are jumping up pretty good from the heavy rains to the north so they will back up some of the sloughs. The weather was too crappy to do the aerial survey on Monday but that's probably good because they can't seem to get it right anyway. My privately commissioned survey yielded a conservative estimate of 20,000 ducks at Horseshoe Lake. Should be pretty good for you on Sunday 'cept for the weather. The forecast (at least the one they're giving right now) calls for 72 degrees and thunderstorms. Monday might be the better day. They're calling for a high of 36 and a low of 24 and windy. Having said that, please keep in mind that these weathermen couldn't pick their own mother out of a room full of Japs so the forecast is subject to change. Good Luck!!

9. Biggerdekes

Biggerdekes Guest

Just got back from hunting at Horseshoe Lake. The Lake has a few ducks on it , but the clubs that surround the lake has a bunch. Saw very few flights on the North and east side of the lake. Alot of shooting was on the west end. Rumor has it that the clubs that have water have been holding 30000+ ducks. Saw a few flights of geese but they didn`t fly off the refuge, they know where Rt. 3 is. I would say after this morning that more ducks will be on Horseshoe and the Mississippi river. I have hunted horseshoe for many years and this is the most ducks I have seen in a few years (thanks to the later opening). Last year the big push of ducks was christmas eve. I think the best is yet to come.

10. browningman01

browningman01 Refuge Member

thanks for the update im new to the area and dont know what is were but i do know that our pit is in the field beside ko-ko joes. there was a litlte water around our pit sunday, an inch of rain should be just deep enough to float decoys. one of my buddies is hunting saturday if the report aint real good im gona stay home and chase that old boone and crocket thats been teasing me by rubing every ceder tree within 300 yards of my stand ;) got somin for him if he'll ever show his face in the daylight